2,4-D the struggle is real.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve been hit at least four times this year. I filed a complaint but there’s really nothing that can be done. The state pretends to care but the laws certainly favor the big ag.

D08DC36C-35D3-4EB1-B28D-F6A2679AA171.jpeg5C911B7A-43EE-4ED7-8F72-A993A2A0595D.jpegB692C53E-3EEC-4708-A11E-9CE5C68F711C.jpeg683BDA27-A713-4EC4-9DEC-8685924723B6.jpeg238B002C-CCC2-4DCC-8571-2232B9243504.jpeg

Bummer! I’m thankful that my neighbors can’t grow anything but cattle. Too hilly! I can chase the cows out with minimal damage.
How much of the vineyard was hit?

I get some every year. I live in mostly pasture country, but the stuff they spray on brush drifts a long way when the wind is right. I got a bad hit a couple years ago when the jackwad running a spray plane turned right over top of me, and yeah, no one cares. They like to drink my wine, but killing everything is more important. I'm about to throw in the towel. All the work, and no return kinda gets to you after enough years.

That is disheartening. One of my Ison muscadine vines suffered last spring from 2,4,- D drift, but when I thought all was gone, I cut it to the ground. Much to my delight, it decided to grow back. I also lost a nice 4 year old plum tree. Regarding 2 4 D this is a lesson I learned the hard way, a light breeze is all it takes, so if possible do not let this herbicide near your plants. I have no idea what the crop duster is spraying over the cotton and peanut fields next to my home.

I usually get hit with 2,4-D or dicamba in late May or early June and by the end of June my vines have recovered. This year it happened again later in the summer and they just resumed somewhat normal growth a couple of weeks ago. Some are behind in their maturation and all of them have a lot more muscadines than they should. They are still blooming, too.

Back