1st trip to Napa!!! help???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vizsla_red

Junior
Reaction score
dunno if this is the best place to post this, but . . .

So, due to attend a meeting for work in Oakland, flying across the country and have ONE DAY, to see SOME of Napa.

We will be driving from Oakland to Napa ourselves
Not really picky on vineyards, more focused of quality and experience .

Biggest question is how to go about it :
Bus?
Trolly?
Train?
Self? We’ll have a rental car & 2-3 guys
Private guide?

Kinda leaning towards DIY or private guide rather than a bus full of other people

A buddy has used one guy who dives em around and sets everything up for $600/six hour tour

He went on an atv tour at one, but they are closed mondays.

Want to have lunch at one in the vineyard with a view (dunno rare or common that is)
Any food for thought?

Last edited:
I used to live in the Bay Area. You can't get to Napa by public bus or train. You might be able to find a bus wine tour, but I don't know if it would match your schedule. They might have wine tours leaving from near the Oakland airport. Otherwise, unless you want to pay $$$ for a private tour, you are probably best off driving yourself.

I'm not sure where you are from, but there is a LOT of traffic in the Bay Area. Try to avoid driving during rush hour if you can.

Lived in Norther CA for many years. Went to Napa more than once. If you can, you should just drive there.

Suggest for a first visit, a "plan" to visit the "big" ones. Like Mondavi, Sterling (in Calastoga just up the road), and Beringer.

But along the way.... (that is, your "plan" need not be too fixed) if you see a winery, that looks like somewhere you want to stop... just stop and try some wine. Use the "spit bucket" so you can keep driving.

Other ones I would suggest if you can find them (there are two roads in Napa) are Stags Leap, Ladera Vineyards, Castello di Amorosa. But again, only a plan for direction of travel. Do not worry if you do not get to them. Just let yourself wander a bit and discover along the way.

dunno if this is the best place to post this, but . . .

So, due to attend a meeting for work in Oakland, flying across the country and have ONE DAY, to see SOME of Napa.

We will be driving from Oakland to Napa ourselves
Not really picky on vineyards, more focused of quality and experience .

Biggest question is how to go about it :
Bus?
Trolly?
Train?
Self? We’ll have a rental car & 2-3 guys
Private guide?

Kinda leaning towards DIY or private guide rather than a bus full of other people

A buddy has used one guy who dives em around and sets everything up for $600/six hour tour

He went on an atv tour at one, but they are closed mondays.

Want to have lunch at one in the vineyard with a view (dunno rare or common that is)
Any food for thought?
My hubby and I did a group bus tour in Napa and the nice thing about it is that you don't have to drive, call ahead, or make reservations. Downside is you're with a group. We ejoyed V. Sattui's tasting of their Madeira.
https://www.vsattui.com/
I did a couple of VA tours and have done the private tour where we selected the tour spots and the tour folks set everything up along with tastings and lunch. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Only downside is that we had to hustle to make it to all the stops, so it wasn't like super relaxing.

Unless you are determined to go to Napa, you'll have more fun and spend much less in Sonoma. In particular, I'd recommend Dry Creek Valley as the area to visit. It's the same drive from SFO, more relaxed, and more fun. Drive yourself.

Places to visit:
Ridge (Lytton Springs)
Armida
Truitt-Hurst
Mazzuco
Fritz
Dutcher Crossing

There are many others as well.

When we visited a year and a half ago, we drove to Napa. Most wineries required reservations, so before just going to the valley I recommend going online to see if reservations are still required at those you wish to visit. We skipped the big name wineries that are on store shelves as we can try them any time we want, and instead made reservations at wineries we hadn't heard of. We were not disappointed! Sonoma also has some terrific choices that blew us away. Hope you have a great trip.

Tastings in Napa are generally $30-40 with that cost not deducted from purchase. Sonoma tends to be $10-20, and that cost deducted from purchase. If you are really sporty go a bit further north to Mendocino, many tastings are complementary.

Interesting.

I have not been to this area to wine taste in 20 years. And back then most winery tasting was complementary.... I think I only paid at Sterling (but I got a tram ride out of that as a bonus.... :) ) and the cost was purchase deductible.

I guess a lot has changed. Too many have gone mercenary...☹️

Last edited:
Unless you are determined to go to Napa, you'll have more fun and spend much less in Sonoma. In particular, I'd recommend Dry Creek Valley as the area to visit. It's the same drive from SFO, more relaxed, and more fun. Drive yourself.

Places to visit:
Ridge (Lytton Springs)
Armida
Truitt-Hurst
Mazzuco
Fritz
Dutcher Crossing

There are many others as well.
Second this!!
Healdsburg is like Napa was 20 years ago.

...but if you do go to Napa, don't miss Chappellet up on Pritchard Hill. Take the tour. It's a beautiful setting with a view, state of the art building, great wines (although overpriced, but that's Napa)

My hubby and I did a group bus tour in Napa and the nice thing about it is that you don't have to drive, call ahead, or make reservations. Downside is you're with a group. We ejoyed V. Sattui's tasting of their Madeira.
https://www.vsattui.com/
I did a couple of VA tours and have done the private tour where we selected the tour spots and the tour folks set everything up along with tastings and lunch. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Only downside is that we had to hustle to make it to all the stops, so it wasn't like super relaxing.
My son went to v sattui last summer and brought me back a bottle of the Madeira. It is really good. He said it was the best winery he visited - they were very friendly / informative. I’m planning to go this summer, so the advice is helpful.

Latest posts

Back