1st timer with Skeeter Pee question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybush

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm moving along nicely with my first batch of Skeeter. Fermentation in the secondary is almost complete. So, I'll be soon be racking to a clean carboy to clear. I will have some empty space in the carboy. My questions: Should I top up as I have with kit wines I have made? If so, with what? Water? Minute Maid lemonade? Frozen concentrate? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray,

Do you have equipment to vacuum degas? If so, I would rack, add your stabilizing & fining ingredients, and then pull a vacuum. Degas as much as you can and the headspace in the carboy will be all CO2. Remove the vac equipment and quickly replace the airlock. You shouldn't have any problems with oxydation and you won't likely be doing any long term aging. When you sweeten the Skeeter Pee, it will take up some of this volume.

If you don't have the ability to vacuum degas, then I'd rack, add chemistry, and sugar. If you still have headspace, you could add water and taste. If you think it needs more lemon kick, you could put a bit more lemon juice in prior to it clearing. Replace the airlock and wait for it to clear and watch to make sure fermenation doesn't restart.

Good luck

Thanks for answering this question I was wondering the same thing .I didn't top mine off because I knew was only there a short time and I'm sure it won't last long after I bottle it .

Lon, thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have vacuum to degas so I'll proceed as directed.

Latest posts

Back