WineXpert 1st time to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnlee1

Junior
Reaction score
Well - my wine was finally ready to bottle and at the time of testing it looked really clear. When I got to the last bottle, which I didn't have enough to fill the whole bottle (due to spilling one of them), I poured it into a glass and it looked terrible - very cloudy.

There was about an 1" of sediment -is that normal? In the future, what is the best way to bottle without stirring up the bottom? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Also, as of yet - I still don't like the taste - it has somewhat of a "tangy" smell and taste (not vinegar though). Will this improve and get taster over time?

Little disappointed, but this is my first time. Any suggestions for the next batch will be greatly appreciated.

Dawn

Dawn,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Please do not get discouraged because of the taste of your wine right now. I would think the tangy taste will mellow over time...I have had a few batches like this. It could be dissolved C0<SUB>2</SUB> that didn't come out of solution when you added the finings and sulfite.

What are your plans for the storage conditions of your wine now that it is the bottle?

How long did you let it settle after adding the finings?

Increasing the time helps two ways, it will guarantee that all the fines havesettled out and also gives the sediment time to pack down some. Make sure you use a sediment tip on your racking cane...best to leave a small amount of wine behind than have to rerack the whole batch again.

I assumed you are talking about the 1 inch of sediment in the bottom of your secondary when you went to bottle. When you are ready to bottle just carefully rack the wine into another carboy or bottling bucket first. This will give you nice clear wine to bottle and not have to worry about stirring up the sediment.

This past weekend I had planned to bottle a batch but when I went to rack into another carboy I stirred up the sediment a bit and now I have to wait till it clears again…..bummer!
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
Most of the time this isn't a issue because I use a Fermtech Auto Siphon and it has a fairly deep tip on the end. (This Auto Siphon is a must have..try one and you wont go back to your old one)

If this happens just remember to top off your carboy so you don't have to worry about oxidation while you wait for it to settle.

As we discussed before I would suggest upgrading to a higher end kit like the Selection Series. For the price difference I think the quality of the finished product is worth every penny.

I plan on storing the bottles in my basement, should be the right temp, but will probably cover the rack due to a door with glass in that area of the basement.

I waited 16 days before I botted after I added the last packages of the kit.

I already bottled all the wine, but just to be on the safe side could I just open them all up again and pour them into the carboy and let sit for another 10-14 days and try bottling again - or do you think it's okay?

Thanks so much for the help.

Dawn,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I would not try to re-work the batch; it is not worth the effort in my opinion. Most of the fines should have settled after 16 days and I am guessing that the last bottle and what you looked at in the glass was the bottom of the carboy because some fines got sucked up by your racking cane. Try a minimum 3 week settle next batch then rack into another container and you should have a better result when bottling.

Just let it age a while andopen a bottlein 8 weeks and see what it is like.

Most important thing for proper aging is constant temperature and a maximum of 70 degrees (ideal is 55-57). Wine ages faster at higher temps but not always better. Good ideal with the cover...keep the light away.

Now you have plenty of time to make a white or fruit wine kit that you can drink right away after you bottle!<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:image></v:shape>My I suggest the Selection White Merlot by Winexpert, I have made 10 batches of this stuff and the wife and her friends drink it like it was for free!

I looked at the first bottle that we filled and it too looks cloudy
smiley19.gif
. Oh well - my husband had bought me another Vintners Reserve (RIESLING) kitso I'll learn from my mistakes. I'm going to get that started this weekend.

Next order - I'llupgrade to the "Selection" kits.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help!

If you do not have a stirrer that you can use with a power drill I would highly recommend getting one. It helps when you make up the kit because the concentrate is very viscous and I think it would be tough to mix by hand and without proper mixing it can lead to fermentation issues. I have always used a powered stirrer, which was recomended by my first retailer.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It is also a right tool to use when you complete the fermentation and need to remove the dissolved C02 (the tangy taste and smell) as you add the final chemicals and fining agents.

Good Luck and keeps us inform on your progress!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: masta

Masta,

Please tell me about this auto siphon. Mine is the pump-type (impossible to transfer wine from my secondary without help). Also, you mentioned the stirring tool. I usually transfer into my primary to add my clarifier so I can effectively stir it in, but it would be nice to leave it in the secondary. I thought I was doing a good thing by leaving most of the sediment behind before adding the clarifier, but the posters on this board suggest otherwise. Are these two tools a necessity for the committed wine maker/drinker?

Slim

I was using my new auto siphon yesterday, was having a little trouble with it and noticed the hose wasn't on far enough so it was sucking air, I'm sure you can buy one at this site (OK not positive) but there only $10 and you don't take the chance of bacteria from your mouth getting in the wine.

Absolutly.....I can't imagine making wine without my auto siphon and drill mounted stirrer. Recently I bought another cool toy...a Fermtech thief/test combo and it works great...one less thing to clean and sanitize when testing!
smiley32.gif

The auto siphon is real easy to use....one or two strokes and you are racking! Below are links to pics:

[url]http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Equipm ent&amp;SubCategory=Tubing&amp;PartNumber=4879 [/url]

[url]http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Equipm ent&amp;SubCategory=Testing&amp;PartNumber=5432 [/url]

[url]http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Equipm ent&amp;SubCategory=mixer&amp;PartNumber=15262 [/url]

All 3 of these "toys" are really great to have in your "toy box". All three are great time savers.

I sell the 1/2" size in the siphon as it works better for wine. It is about twice as fast as the 3/8" model, which is better for beer.

10-4 on the auto siphon and winethief/test jar. I could not make wine without them.

Latest posts

Back