1st time RC212 use in Chilean Triple red - slow/stalled?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Hi All...

I decided to give RC212 a whirl in an RJS Chilean Triple Red -- rather than the provided EC1118.

It's my first time using RC212. OG=1.112 I added GoFerm at about 1/3 sugar depletion. No off odors whatsoever of any kind. Room temperature has been in the high 60Fs.

At 3weeks in SG=1.008 -- and airlock is still exhibiting some slow bubble activity -- every 30secs or so.

- wait it out
- add more GoFerm
- pinch EC1118 to finish it off
- something else

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Hi All...

I decided to give RC212 a whirl in an RJS Chilean Triple Red -- rather than the provided EC1118.

It's my first time using RC212. OG=1.112 I added GoFerm at about 1/3 sugar depletion. No off odors whatsoever of any kind. Room temperature has been in the high 60Fs.

At 3weeks in SG=1.008 -- and airlock is still exhibiting some slow bubble activity -- every 30secs or so.

- wait it out
- add more GoFerm
- pinch EC1118 to finish it off
- something else

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

As you already know, RC-212 can be a bit of a nutrient hog, and can be finicky when it doesn't get its way. Rehydrating with GoFerm is a good start for a yeast like RC-212, though it typically performs better with a little more robust nutrient protocol. Typically, with that yeast, I'd rehydrated in GoFerm as you did, then supplement that with a dose of Fermaid K when fermentation got going, and another dose at 1/2 - 1/3 sugar depletion. It can be problematic to add nitrogen containing nutrients after the wine gets below 1.025 or thereabouts, do don't add any more GoFerm or Fermaid K. You can, however, still use a bit of Fermaid O, which is an organic yeast nutrient, but don't overdo the addition.

Your ABV is a bit over 14% as you are now, 212 should be able to handle 16%, but it's obviously getting quite sticky at its current level, perhaps due to being a bit short on nutrients.

The little bit of airlock activity you are seeing is probably just CO2 coming out of solution, and if your SG is remaining constant at 1.008, your yeast isn't metabolizing any more sugar. Try maintaining a temperature of 75 F and adding some Fermaid O to see if you can get it over the finish line. If that doesn't work, consider rehydrating some EC-1118 in a couple cups of apple juice and adding that to the carboy when you see strong signs of fermentation. You could also try using the same starter, and slowly step feeding your wine into the starter over a few days until it's all in with the EC-1118 starter.

As you already know, RC-212 can be a bit of a nutrient hog, and can be finicky when it doesn't get its way. Rehydrating with GoFerm is a good start for a yeast like RC-212, though it typically performs better with a little more robust nutrient protocol. Typically, with that yeast, I'd rehydrated in GoFerm as you did, then supplement that with a dose of Fermaid K when fermentation got going, and another dose at 1/2 - 1/3 sugar depletion. It can be problematic to add nitrogen containing nutrients after the wine gets below 1.025 or thereabouts, do don't add any more GoFerm or Fermaid K. You can, however, still use a bit of Fermaid O, which is an organic yeast nutrient, but don't overdo the addition.

Your ABV is a bit over 14% as you are now, 212 should be able to handle 16%, but it's obviously getting quite sticky at its current level, perhaps due to being a bit short on nutrients.

The little bit of airlock activity you are seeing is probably just CO2 coming out of solution, and if your SG is remaining constant at 1.008, your yeast isn't metabolizing any more sugar. Try maintaining a temperature of 75 F and adding some Fermaid O to see if you can get it over the finish line. If that doesn't work, consider rehydrating some EC-1118 in a couple cups of apple juice and adding that to the carboy when you see strong signs of fermentation. You could also try using the same starter, and slowly step feeding your wine into the starter over a few days until it's all in with the EC-1118 starter.
Thanks for the feedback/insight John...

gonna give the addition of a bit of FermaidO a whirl & see what happens over the next few days...

will post back here with my results :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback/insight John...

gonna give the addition of a bit of FermaidO a whirl & see what happens over the next few days...

will post back here with my results :)

Cheers!
Sounds like a plan, hope it works out!! If not, hop back on, we'll see what we can try next based on your outcome from try #1..........

I don’t have a great deal of winemaking experience relative to many members here, I’ve made about 30 6 gal batches so far, almost all of them kits. First couple I used the included EC 1118 but coming from a fairly long history of making beer where many beers majority of their flavor profile comes from the yeast chosen I knew that yeast selection can and does have a large affect on flavors produced during fermentation. I like using RC 212, BM 45 and BM 4x4. The last half dozen or so I’ve made, all in the last several months I’ve taken to making a small starter of EC 1118 once the gravity drops to about 1.000 and adding it to the batch with the intention drive them bone dry and it seems to work. So it seems to me you could certainly add EC1118 but I think if you do so you should make a starter for it since it is relatively high in alcohol

Just reread the OP, did you use GoFerm or FermaidK at 1/3 sugar depletion? Go Ferm is designed to be used during yeast rehydration while FermaidK and O are designed to provide nutrients for the yeast and keep them healthier during fermentation

Just reread the OP, did you use GoFerm or FermaidK at 1/3 sugar depletion? Go Ferm is designed to be used during yeast rehydration while FermaidK and O are designed to provide nutrients for the yeast and keep them healthier during fermentation
What's ur EC1118 starter recipe?

Thanks & Cheers!

I rehydrate with Go-Ferm, then using a 10 oz. bottle of Welch' concord grape juice ad perhaps 2 ounces within 20 minutes of rehydration to atemperate it, then about 3 oz 15-20 minutes later, then the balance of the Welch's with a pinch of Fermaid K about 15-20 minutes later. Keeping it ata stable temperature I add this starter when at high krausen, usually 6-8 hours later

IF it comes to adding an EC1118 starter - would you suggest racking 1st or just adding to existing?

Cheers!

IF it comes to adding an EC1118 starter - would you suggest racking 1st or just adding to existing?

Cheers!
Just add it to existing, you’ve still got yeast cells and gross lees that may still have some value, plus you’ll have to do it again anyway. Giving things a good stir now and then wouldn’t hurt either.

Down to 1.004 as of this morning 👍

Will continue keeping it blanketed & swirling multiple times daily -- hopefully can coax it to 1 or below within the next week.

Cheers!

As of 8:30a down to 1.002

Thinking strongly about making an EC1118 starter to finish things off. (Currently a few days short of a month since started...)

Cheers!

Down to 1.000 as of noon 2day. Gonna let it go till Sat & rack it ✌

Cheers & thanks for everyone's feedack/insight!

Have racked, cold crashed and racked again.

Now bulking aging for 6months on 1 Med Toast American Oak spiral.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back