1st Time Kit - New to Winemaking - Some Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG_UNC83

Junior
Reaction score
Hello; Let me 1st introduce myself. I'm new to winemaking but am a long-time home beer brewer. I've been lurking on the site for sometime as I researched taking up this new hobby.

Well, I made the plunge and just purchased a Malbec Kit from William Brewing. Its a very basic low-end 5 gallon kit but seems to get good reviews. The size also works well with my beer fermenting buckets and 5 gal carboys.

I"ve been reading alot of tweak threads on the site (Joe's long thread), and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit, or with any Williams' Red kits. Are there any recommendations or suggestions for improving the final product.

Have to admit I'm a bit torn between just doing my 1st kit per instructions versus tweaking to improve.

Any thoughts or advice are really appreciated.

Williams kits are not low end kits, they make really good wine. They are sparce with instructions. I generally follow a 180 day timeline with them.

Just got a petit syrah and a cab kit from them to start next week.

CMason, DrCAD; Thanks for the responses.

I am leaning towards doing the kits per instructions, which as DrCAD mentions are very sparse in the Williams Kits.

DrCAD, it sounds like you have experience with the Williams Kits. My description of low end may have been a bit harsh, and not intended to imply not good. The do get good reviews. I am curious, when you've made the kits do you just use the supplied ingredients? Or do you use (or plan to use) any mods that you feel will improve the wine?

I do plan to bulk age in a carboy for 4-6 months, and then in bottles for several more.

Thanks again.

I would echo the sentiment to follow the directions. Kit manufacturers put countless hours into creating kits that will produce good wine as long as you follow the directions. I would not even consider deviating from the directions until I made the kit per them first.

...Kit manufacturers put countless hours into creating kits that will produce good wine as long as you follow the directions...QUOTE]

You have obviously never seen a Williams kit instruction sheet. They are only half a page. Here, I'll summerize it for you

Step 1 Make 5 gallons of juice
Step 2 Ferment it
Step 3 Bottle it

JG_UNC83,

I add a tablespoon or two of tannins to all of my red kits and I'm very partial to medium toasted Hungarian oak cubes instead of whatever oak chips come in the kits. Thats all I have done to the Williams kits, well that and a 6 month bulk age.
If you have ever had a Layer Cake Zin, thats what the Williams wines seem to be close to. The wine starts out with a false sense of sweet (I know its false because these kits get down to the low .990's) that rapidly turns to fruit then turns to astringint (because of the tannins) and finishes with a strong alcohol "red wine" type of finish. I think letting them sit for longer than the 1 year I generally do would only help those separate flavors blend together better. The Petit Syrah states to keep it for 3 years!

Latest posts

Back