1st skeeter progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
Started a batch Thursday and wasn't sure if my slurry from the blackberry would work or not as it had been in the fridge for about 10 days and this was the first time for me. Had yeast on hand just in case. I let the slurry come to room temp overnight Friday and dumped it in about 10 A.M. Sat., by 5 P.M. started to see some action on surface, not much but some bubbles starting. Have my brew belt on the primary as well. This morning the whole surface is covered with a cap of bubbles that are purple in color from the blackberry I'm sure. I will stir twice a day and the S.G. this A.M. had already changed to about 1.065 from 1.070. Once again my excitement level is high. More reports to follow this next week.

Remember when you stir to really whip the air in their, this one appears to need and LOVE oxygen.

WineYooper you are doing fine. My longest that I have kept a slurry is 9 months and it worked find, I now have two slurries in the freezer and hopefully it will be fine.

My first skeeter pee was with a blackberry slurry and oh is was sooooo good. You are doing great, you are going to so love this.

How much do you think the slurry imparts it's flavor on the skeeter?

I did not use a slurry and wonder if does anything for the flavor positive or negative.

How much do you think the slurry imparts it's flavor on the skeeter?

I did not use a slurry and wonder if does anything for the flavor positive or negative.

Oh I think it does, it is very faint but I can taste it and I really like it. Each batch is slightly different which adds to the character of SP.

Have yuo tried anything with Cranberry in it ? I have a Cranberry/ pomegranate ,white cranberry and white grape /pear juices wine i started yesterday I was thinking I would use that for my next SP .Should be interesting .

Have yuo tried anything with Cranberry in it ? I have a Cranberry/ pomegranate ,white cranberry and white grape /pear juices wine i started yesterday I was thinking I would use that for my next SP .Should be interesting .

Nothing with a cranberry in it as of yet. Go for it, I think it would be good.

I used a Blueberry slurry and could not taste anything other then lemon. It is great tasting and a wonderful color. I think it would be easy to add a juice or concentrate of your choice at the beginning and correct for SG. Or at least that is what I'll be trying when it's time for my next batch.

I have a batch going now. 4 gallons, used 2 bottles of L Juice and 3 cans of raspberry/apple concentrate. Gonna be a good one. So thats my vote for adding a juice of your choice in the begining. Of course backsweetening with a frozen concentrate(undiluted) should do the same trick.

The skeeter is now in the secondary and looks like pink lemonade at this point. Can't wait to try this.

I just started one on pineapple slurry. I think it might be a good one. It frothed almost immediately.

Well the cranberry mix slurry took off fine .It's doing so well it oveflowed my 6 gallon bucket .

Latest posts

Back