1st rack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaos607

Junior
Reaction score
hi everyone. I made dandelion wine with orange lemon and apple. Do I do my first rack after 3 weeks or after the bubbling completely stops. thanks in advance.

Best bet is to buy a <$10 hydrometer. In the absence of that, taste it and see if it still sweet. But, I also think three weeks from last bubble is also an indicator, but you run the risk of bacteria starting to grow in the wine.

Best bet is to buy a <$10 hydrometer. In the absence of that, taste it and see if it still sweet. But, I also think three weeks from last bubble is also an indicator, but you run the risk of bacteria starting to grow in the wine.
its been 3 weeks now. bubbling hasn't stopped yet. there is very little sweetness.

Brix is the measurement of sugar in wine. Wine from grapes are typically start out 22-26 brix and you ferment it to zero, then backsweeten if desired. A white Zin will be around 1.5 brix residual sugar. A lot of wines from grapes that taste “fruity” will have .3 -.6 brix residual sugar. Your wine may have a low pH with the citric acid and could mask a lot of sugar. I’d certainly let it run its course, then after you do your first racking, leave an airlock on it, Incase it has some more to go.

Brix is the measurement of sugar in wine. Wine from grapes are typically start out 22-26 brix and you ferment it to zero, then backsweeten if desired. A white Zin will be around 1.5 brix residual sugar. A lot of wines from grapes that taste “fruity” will have .3 -.6 brix residual sugar. Your wine may have a low pH with the citric acid and could mask a lot of sugar. I’d certainly let it run its course, then after you do your first racking, leave an airlock on it, Incase it has some more to go.
thank you for your information. I really appreciate. I didn't get a hydrometer but after one little sip I can feel the effects of the wine. so I decided to rack it now before I run into a problem.

Back