1st Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 71B makes a very good country wine. I've used 71B for making fruit wines and Concord Grape wines. Using the 71B yeast they turn out excellent. If and when I use 71B as yeast fermentation, I don't oak the wine, but try to maintain the fruit-forward attributes of the fruit wine and what the 71B yeast brings to the party. Also, have used D47 yeast fermenting both Peach and Apple fruit wines. I allowed fermentation to firmly establish in the primary using D47 and then drop ferment temps over a couple-three days to 60 - F. to finish. This during the wintertime months, in a controlled environment. After a couple of rackings and when I think the D47 fermented wine is ready I oak the D47 fermented wine to taste. The wine is more complex than the 71B but still very approachable for the newbie wine drinker.

The recipe on my last peach called for 71B, Its been aging for 7 months now, I cant say how it turned out yet but I didnt care much for its flavor in the first couple of months but I am counting on age to help it come around. The Yeast did a nice job just not my favorite flavor when its young I'm guessing.🙂

The recipe on my last peach called for 71B, Its been aging for 7 months now, I cant say how it turned out yet but I didnt care much for its flavor in the first couple of months but I am counting on age to help it come around. The Yeast did a nice job just not my favorite flavor when its young I'm guessing.🙂
generally peach like most wines really improves with time, I'd fettled around and did not keep up on my peach stash, about a month or so ago i went for a bottle and it was my last one, talk about a bummer, peach is not much as wine at first, but at a year it is not bad, at around 2 years, Katie bar the door, it becomes killer good, I sterched that bottle as much as i could, kinda sad, i got 13.75 gallons in secondary's, just a few weeks old, still be about 2.5 months before i rack again, 71b will leave a good nose, but i tend to like my lighter wines using K1V-1116,,, what SG do you shoot for as a FSG ? i tend to stay on the sweeter side, but the fruits and berries i use are sweet when you eat them,, best of luck,,,
Dawg

Well SG got down to 1.010 and has stopped. It has done that with two other concentrates I have used. I racked it off of Primary in to a carboy and was hoping it would still ferment but it has not done anything. I'll hold it there for couple weeks. Then rack to let clear and add kmeta.

Well SG got down to 1.010 and has stopped. It has done that with two other concentrates I have used. I racked it off of Primary in to a carboy and was hoping it would still ferment but it has not done anything. I'll hold it there for couple weeks. Then rack to let clear and add kmeta.
I'm a little surprised that the fermentation stalled at SG 1.010 using EC1118. Did you check the hydrometer, working correctly? Just asking because EC1118 usually ferments all fermentable sugars extra dry when I've used it. This invites another question. Were all the sugars in the juice fermentable? Maybe during the reduction process, certain non-fermentable sugars are produced by the process itself. Also, there might be some starches left behind by the reduction process? Anyways an SG of 1.010 might be a good thing for fruit wine. Many women that drink my lighter color wine prefer wine on the sweeter side. if my wine was fermented dry, I recommend adding sweet fruit juice to their glass (like mango, pineapple) along with a couple of ice cubes. Walla either sweeter wine with a little less ABV or add more juice resulting in a wine cooler. Depends on a person's preference.

I was wondering the same thing since three different concentrates went to the same 1.010. I have two Hydrometers and both read the same.

I do have to back sweeten it but I need to start planning that these concentrates only go so low to ensure I have enough ABV, Maybe starting them at 1.110 to ensure I get ABV high enough. I just started a Raspberry with concentrate and started it at 1.110.

it taste really sour or tart right now for sure. a few drops of simple syrup makes it taste nice. You can taste the peach.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing since three different concentrates went to the same 1.010. I have two Hydrometers and both read the same.

I do have to back sweeten it but I need to start planning that these concentrates only go so low to ensure I have enough ABV, Maybe starting them at 1.110 to ensure I get ABV high enough. I just started a Raspberry with concentrate and started it at 1.110.

it taste really sour or tart right now for sure. a few drops of simple syrup makes it taste nice. You can taste the peach.

Did you check the hydrometers in water?

I was wondering the same thing since three different concentrates went to the same 1.010.

This is really interesting to me. I was having the same trouble. My problem has been with Coloma's sweet cherry and their tart cherry. 4 batches fermenting nicely at 1st then a dead stop at 1.004, 1.020, 1.005, and 1.012. Odd thing is that I did 5 batches of Coloma peach before that and all went dry just fine.

I was starting to lose confidence in wine making so I made a batch of DB and it did just fine.

Is it the Coloma juice, but just some batches?

What were the other two concentrates you had trouble with?

Last edited:
This is really interesting to me. I was having the same trouble. My problem has been with Coloma's sweet cherry and their tart cherry. 4 batches fermenting nicely at 1st then a dead stop at 1.004, 1.020, 1.005, and 1.012. Odd thing is that I did 5 batches of Coloma peach before that and all went dry just fine.

I was starting to lose confidence in wine making so I made a batch of DB and it did just fine.

Is it the Coloma juice, but just some batches?

What were the other to concentrates you had trouble with?

my first was a raspberry but it was from another supplier. It stopped at 1.010 too. Then I did this peach and a blackberry from Coloma side by side. Both stopped at 1.010. I just started another raspberry from Coloma this week. We will see were it stops. It was just weird it has only happen to my concentrates.

@silverbullet07, @reeflections -- contact the vendor and ask questions. You might mention that this problem appears to be wide spread and is being discussed online, and send the link to this thread. IME a lot of vendors are good about responding, but a bit of incentive never hurts, e.g., negative online discussion.

Regarding the wine -- if it's under airlock with minimal headspace, you can leave it for months. If it's in a low temperature area, move the carboys to an area where the temperature is at least 75 F. A bit of heat can produce a difference.

Also, keep an eye on the carboys. If the fermentation does wake up, you could get foaming through the airlock.

For a normal fermentation, I rack at 1.010 or below, and leave a large headspace in the carboy for the wine to complete over the following 1 to 2 weeks. In your case, there's no telling if the fermentation will resume, so leaving too much headspace is not a good idea IMO. You can split the difference and leave a somewhat larger headspace for a few weeks, as the wine is emitting CO2. I give the carboy a good shake to encourage the CO2 to pop, and this displaces the air.

I've also had a few issues in the past 2 years with EC1118 not completely finishing and stopping typically at about 1.010 or there abouts. (Slightly above 1.000) I have attributed it to fermenting at the lower end of the temp range as I am fermenting in winter time and the house I do the fermenting in is not set above 60f. BUT one more thing that might help if you still have a few yeast packets of it - Step feed. My last blackberry a (Done this winter) got down to .994 I believe but I step-fed it so that I cold push it to 17.++% ABV.

These yeasts might just be more temperamental at cooler temps and too high an initial SG might just be an issue.

I agree with the idea of contacting the maker about the issues and you can count me in on the list of folks with issues.

My most recent batch of wine stopped at 1.010 but it was not going to be a high ABV - I just had the temperature issue the yeast in this case was SN9 from Mangrove Jack's. So in this last instance it was most likely temp that caused it to stop - It achieved only 11.03 instead of 13.++ % ABV.

Bottled up my peach wine today, It turned out good and it has a lot of peach flavor. I think the color is nice too.

Attachments

• 3C67E091-7A9F-4A46-8266-AA77D4D33790_1_105_c.jpeg
    3C67E091-7A9F-4A46-8266-AA77D4D33790_1_105_c.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 34
  • BD46C32C-A4E2-49F7-B949-01CE455B7CB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    BD46C32C-A4E2-49F7-B949-01CE455B7CB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 461C3065-A4A2-4322-9F38-285036169B67_1_105_c.jpeg
    461C3065-A4A2-4322-9F38-285036169B67_1_105_c.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 37
  • A08B2D72-9725-4E64-9658-33FCFA191F23_1_105_c.jpeg
    A08B2D72-9725-4E64-9658-33FCFA191F23_1_105_c.jpeg