1st MLF question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossbaby

Reaction score
Hey gang! I've decided to try mlf for the 1st time on 16 gal of petite pearl that is just wrapping up primary at 1.006 . I have a pack of Viniflora Oenos and Acti-ml nutrient, My question is it best to add this now or press when completely dry and then add? Any help would be great.. Thanks.

Ask 6 winemakers this question get seven opinions. Either way is fine and works. I don't think they are compelling reasons to pick one over the other. I prefer the wait, but only because that's what I do.
The package is good for 66 gal would it hurt to dump the whole thing in, I wont be making another red grape wine this year so wont need it otherwise how much would you add for 16 gal the directions on line are a little vague as far as I can tell.

The package is good for 66 gal would it hurt to dump the whole thing in, I wont be making another red grape wine this year so wont need it otherwise how much would you add for 16 gal the directions on line are a little vague as far as I can tell.

Just add all of it. If you are not making another wine in the next few weeks, it won't be good anyway. So toss it in, it's fine.

I have, on occasion, tossed in half, then vacuum sealed and back in the freezer for a few weeks, but would not trust beyond that. You can't add too much.

The sooner you pitch the MLF the sooner it will complete. Numerous studies have shown that some degree of co-innoculation is safe and actually will speed up mlf and likely produce more aroma and flavor. That has been my experience. I know some older rightings on the subject indicated early inoculations of mlf could cause problems but all the science I read lately says no.

The sooner you pitch the MLF the sooner it will complete. Numerous studies have shown that some degree of co-innoculation is safe and actually will speed up mlf and likely produce more aroma and flavor. That has been my experience. I know some older rightings on the subject indicated early inoculations of mlf could cause problems but all the science I read lately says no.
I hope all goes well I mixed up a nutrient starter , added to must and sprinkled the mlb, stirred it all up in the Brute, is it then safe to press when dry and then rack off Lee's a couple of days later?

I would press when you think its appropriate. Could be a week or a month depending what you going for. Before I racked off lees I would wait to see if MLF is still going. Give it a stir once in a while to keep MLF in suspension. MLF will take a bit longer then th AF did and the lees will help feed it. Just don't leave on gross lees for too long or you can get some nasty stuff starting

Latest posts

Back