1st gallon of raspberry wine in the fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any point to age for flavor at this point, or should I just give it a few weeks and have some fun making other drinks?
While you can use the wine now to make drink or marinades, if it were me, I'd give it time. The wine may be hotter than you like, but the aroma and flavors will develop with 6 to 12 months in the bottle. If you do nothing more than add an ounce of sparkling water to a glass, you will probably enjoy it more with aging. And ... it's not going to go bad, so it will still be available for drinks and marinades.

Previous replies have mentioned that K-meta will dissipate over time.
Free SO2 binds to contaminants, which uses up the free SO2. Unless you stir heavily, IIRC not much actually dissipates.

sorry, ok when you open a red and let it sit open for 15 minutes or so that is letting it breath, next time you open a red as soon as you open it pour you a sip and drink it, then say 15 minutes later after letting your bottle standing open pour you another sip, pay attention to the first sip and the second sip, so you can compare how just opened and let breath changes the flavor,
Richard is spot on with his description. I use an in-bottle aerator for pouring wine by the glass, and decant if serving in a situation where it's certain the bottle will be finished.

Most of the time there is a noticeable difference from aeration/decanting. I fooled my s-in-l -- I poured 2 glasses, the same wine with and without aeration. She didn't believe they were the same wine. Try it with several different reds; it will make a believer out of you.

Red raspberry's from the garden frozen from summer. I had no other intentions for them so this kicked up the wine interest.
Same thing happened to me. I topped off my canes about shoulder height as an experiment and easily tripled my usual yield. Had a boatload left over after jam. Thought I'd try wine. Then I thought, hey, I have apples and pears and grapes and ... Now I have 13 gallon jugs of various wines and can't wait till next year!! The ones I like I'll bump up to 3 or 5 gallon batches.

Same thing happened to me. I topped off my canes about shoulder height as an experiment and easily tripled my usual yield. Had a boatload let over after jam. Thought I'd try wine. Then I thought, hey, I have apples and pears and grapes and ... Now I have 13 gallon jugs of various wines and can't wait till next year!! The ones I like I'll bump up to 3 or 5 gallon batches.
OK another addicted wine crafter,,, :db :db
Dawg

Same thing happened to me. I topped off my canes about shoulder height as an experiment and easily tripled my usual yield. Had a boatload left over after jam. Thought I'd try wine. Then I thought, hey, I have apples and pears and grapes and ... Now I have 13 gallon jugs of various wines and can't wait till next year!! The ones I like I'll bump up to 3 or 5 gallon batches.

This does not instill confidence. I was given some mine making equipment a few years ago. I started my raspberry wine about a week and a half ago. This weekend I racked gallon 5 and 6 from the Triple Berry. I have Raspeberry, White, Skeeter Pee, Dragon's Blood, and two gallons of the triple that I entend to mix up a little different from each other.

I have 1 gallon jug left and I intend to make VinesnBines hard lemonade. Maybe this afternoon?

Once that jug is full I have 3 6 gallon carboys left....

Is there a number I can call? Hi, my name is Dave and I have a wine making problem.

Perhaps a support group within the community?

This does not instill confidence. I was given some mine making equipment a few years ago. I started my raspberry wine about a week and a half ago. This weekend I racked gallon 5 and 6 from the Triple Berry. I have Raspeberry, White, Skeeter Pee, Dragon's Blood, and two gallons of the triple that I entend to mix up a little different from each other.

I have 1 gallon jug left and I intend to make VinesnBines hard lemonade. Maybe this afternoon?

Is there a number I can call? Hi, my name is Dave and I have a wine making problem.

That's funny!
Oh, it gets worse.
I have 2 glass 5 gal from my hard cider days and a boatload of 1 gal (dumpster and purchase), nothing in between. And I start thinking, gee, everything is going up in price so maybe I should get some 3 gal now? Long story short, 3 3-gal delivered Friday...AND I'll be watching prices.

About 5 years ago I paid a little over $200 for my pressure canner. Now it's over $400. Yeah, so now I'm thinking about how many carboys I'll need next year or the year after. Now it's an economic problem and not a wine making problem!

Oh, BTW, tomorrow I start my first skeeter pee. My first Dragon Blood will be later in the week. No, no wine making problem here! Wine storage problem, possibly.

you're addicted,,, no help for you... except to get in even deeper,, lol
Dawg

I've reported on my red raspberry in several threads. I'll pick this one as an update. I started with my home grown red raspberries on 9/21/21. 15 lbs for 3 gallons + 3 gallons of blackberries, 4 1/2 lbs sugar and 152 ounces of water - peptic enzyme and tannin. Ferment went well, and pressed/squeezed on 9/19. On 10.20.21 it was so horribly tart and acidic that I added 4 oz calcium carbonate. The acid taste improved to tolerable. On 1/27/22 I added one ounce of Am oak chips. On 3/12/22 I back sweetened and in April (notes are deficient) I added finishing tannins ( have a couple and can't be sure which I used) - warning to the newbies. Today - we have lift off - finally something that is tasty and not something I would use as weed killer. (I did rack in the process but for this report - I went streamlined)

I thought this was destined for sangria only but now I might bottle for some aging. I had vowed in October that I would NEVER make red raspberry again. NOW, I may rethink - the canes are full.....

Latest posts

Back