1st Batch Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riledup5

The Wiser You Get, The Less You Speak
Reaction score
Soooo.... I am working on my first batch and I am loving the process so far. It is a WinExpert Chardonnay. Quick question for the more experienced..... I think I will be able to do the first rack tomorrow or the next day. SG is 1.024. I taste tested for the first time today and I don't have a very refined palette. I could definitely taste the Chardonnay in the background, but don't know how to explain the other tastes that were there. It seemed to be very confused, convoluted. There were a lot of things going on that I don't know how to describe. Does that make sense? If you know what I am talking about, could you please try to explain to me what I am tasting?

At primary 1.024 I would expect front note of sweet which quickly washes into yeast and the acids which are present, as the saliva pushes this away (30 seconds) the final wave should be bitter from carbonic acid
At 1.005 and lower the sweet is gone, we are left with acid and yeast front notes which are again followed by carbonic acid (soda stream flavors)
may have tasted a little yeasty yet if it's still in primary.
Riledup, you are looking for flavor which is good. The next tool is to break them apart into first, second wave, etc

Soooo.... I am working on my first batch and I am loving the process so far. It is a WinExpert Chardonnay. Quick question for the more experienced..... I think I will be able to do the first rack tomorrow or the next day. SG is 1.024. I taste tested for the first time today and I don't have a very refined palette. I could definitely taste the Chardonnay in the background, but don't know how to explain the other tastes that were there. It seemed to be very confused, convoluted. There were a lot of things going on that I don't know how to describe. Does that make sense? If you know what I am talking about, could you please try to explain to me what I am tasting?

What do the instructions say? I haven't done the Chardonnay but all the winexpert kits I've done (and they've all been dry whites) have required fermenting to dry (<0.996) in primary before racking to carboy for degassing and clearing. Now there's lots of different ways of approaching this, but if it's your first kit I wouldn't move too far from the instructions.

And personally there's no point tasting until it's been in the carboy a couple of weeks.

I firmly believe on tasting often in primary and during aging so you can lean and observe the changes. If it still tastes good and fruity, you aren’t quite through primary. At the end of primary it will be very tart. As it ages, the flavor will keep mellowing.
So many people panic at the end of primary because the taste is pretty awful. My recent banana was downright nasty when I racked out of primary. It is starting to improve after a couple weeks.

Thank you for all the replies! Still so much to learn.... and I learn best from experience and guidance. I racked that into a carboy and that came with learning experiences too. Yes, it tasted pretty nasty, but I could taste the Chardonnay underneath the nasty.

Just started a Pinot Noir in primary. I'm sure I will have more questions as that project evolves. You guys are great! Thanks again!

check out www.colomafrozen.com for single fruit concentrates,, as for fresh fruits and berries , start gathering put in baggies and pop into the freezer to break down you cell walls (more juice)..
on country wines (fruits & berries) on your strongest flavor like elderberry or blackberry use 5 to 6 lbs per gallon of liquid, to your weakest flavor like banana i use 12 lbs per gallon of liquid,
Dawg

Thank you for all the replies! Still so much to learn.... and I learn best from experience and guidance. I racked that into a carboy and that came with learning experiences too. Yes, it tasted pretty nasty, but I could taste the Chardonnay underneath the nasty.

what was your sg when you racked?

HandyT.... When I started this thread, I hadn't racked yet. I racked it yesterday and it was at 1.018

Okay cool. Just as a matter of interest, was that in line with the instructions or have you decided to deviate from the instructions? Genuinely curious.

Latest posts

Back