1st Batch.... Should I top off Secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first racking, blackberry (SG 0.993), topped off. My standard batch is 1.2 gallons but I might dial that back a bit once I learn what I'm doing.
View attachment 71506
I see you have refrigerated both. The instruction from my WE kit say to have the temp warm (68 - 75) throughout the winemaking process. I see how the low temp would help settle the solids out. What do you more experienced folks do? Cold or warm?

So I racked my Sauv Blanc and racked the very bottom of it into a 750mL wine bottle. I cannot get the inverted bung to stay on the bottle, the CO2 keeps popping it off. Suggestions?
You may want to give the big I.D. (i.e., the bottle contact surface) of the universal bung a spritz of sanitizer first, then try working it down. Mine took quite a bit of force, but it went. And it is tight.

I see you have refrigerated both. The instruction from my WE kit say to have the temp warm (68 - 75) throughout the winemaking process. I see how the low temp would help settle the solids out. What do you more experienced folks do? Cold or warm?

That's not a fridge, that is my entire wine making facility (aging cellars not withstanding)!
IMG_1476.JPG.

Looking at the amount of sediment you have, I'm guessing that you've got just enough wine to fill the jug once you've racked. I'd let the wine settle an extra few days for the lees to compact more, so you lose less volume.

That image was taken about an hour after racking from primary and adding Bentonite. I let that settle for a week before another lame-ass racking, and ended up with 1 gallon + about 450ml.

That's not a fridge, that is my entire wine making facility (aging cellars not withstanding)!
View attachment 71522.
Ahh... thanks for the clarification. I guess I should've looked a little closer, didn't have my coffee yet! Ha! Is the water to control temp?

Brings up another question.... I've read that during aging (bulk or bottle) that teh ambient aire temp should be between 55 - 65. Thoughts on this?

Ahh... thanks for the clarification. I guess I should've looked a little closer, didn't have my coffee yet! Ha! Is the water to control temp?

Brings up another question.... I've read that during aging (bulk or bottle) that teh ambient aire temp should be between 55 - 65. Thoughts on this?

Yes, the water is for temp control. That's a 50w aquarium heater in a Pyrex baking dish placed in a Sterilite brand plastic storage container (Wal-mart I believe)(had one on hand). Shown below with lid on.

55-65? Could be, I haven't looked into that yet, but if that is correct then it will never happen in my home! This might be a good thread: Ambient Temperature During Clearing and Aging | Wine Making Talk

IMG_1594.JPG

Oops... the kit instructions say to add kieselsol after racking, wait 24 hours, then add the chitosan. I did the reverse. I don't think it will cause any issues?

Oops... the kit instructions say to add kieselsol after racking, wait 24 hours, then add the chitosan. I did the reverse. I don't think it will cause any issues?
Unfortunately yes -- often the wine won't clear properly. Others have reported that adding more kieselsol fixes the problem. I don't believe there is any harm caused.

Unfortunately yes -- often the wine won't clear properly. Others have reported that adding more kieselsol fixes the problem. I don't believe there is any harm caused.
I just got done doing a quick taste test on all 3 (Chard, Pinot Noir and the Sauv Blanc). @winemaker81 The Sauv Blanc seems to be clearing just fine even though I reversed the Kieselsol and Chitosan. Can someone tell me what that taste is right about now that I have tasted in all 3 wines? Below are the most recent notes for the Sauv Blanc that I am referring to the taste (the taste that the Chard seems to be dissipating). I am guessing that maybe is the Meta???

2/10/21
SG 0.993
Racked into carboy & degassed
Added Metabisulfite/sorbate package and degassed

The Chard seems to be gradually tasting more and more like actual wine, but still needs time.

The Pinot Noir I think is going to need even more time than the Chard. From what I have read on this site, this seems to be normal for reds. Is that right?

It's great the Sauvignon Blanc is clearing. I've heard both ways, that the wine clears or it does not. Looks like the bread landed jam-side up for you!

Can someone tell me what that taste is right about now that I have tasted in all 3 wines?
Green (new) wines can have a variety of flavors, and may not taste good. For me at least, it's hard to describe. As long as you don't smell rotten eggs or taste vinegar, you're probably ok.

My 4 month old Sauvignon Blanc (from fresh juice) is just starting to taste good -- but it's a green wine, far from ready for drinking. I'll probably bottle in a couple of months and won't taste it for 3+ months after that. From what I've read, Sauvignon Blanc peaks at 2 to 3 years, so I'm not planning on keeping it long. Besides, I'm only going to have 15 bottles so it's not going to last long, anyway. [by "not long", I mean I expect that it will be gone by the 2 to 2.5 year mark, maybe sooner if I really like the younger wine.]

This page talks about Sauvignon Blanc.

Back