18 month old, 35 gallon problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
My brother in law called and he wants me to help him out. His father passed away the week of Christmas and left behind 35 gallons of 2012 wine. He wants me to take it off his hands. Its been in an oak barrel for 15 months. I only have about 60 bottles available to use. Can I bottle some and put the rest in carboys. His mother is an old fashion Italian, still in mourning and wants the wine out of the house. Should I add sulfite to the wine? Any suggestions?

I would taste it first - to make sure it is still drinkable at this point. Then you can add some sulfite and bottle and put the excess in your carboys.

I was thinking it may not be any good also. I've asked for samples but haven't been able to get any. I'll just have to get a crew together, bring my supplies , taste the wine, run a few test and go from there. Thanks, Bakervinyard

You can always take a couple buckets to rack into and bottle at your place if you didn't want to bottle there. I would almost be inclined to do that unless your BIL wants to help with the bottling process.

The wine might still be ok. If the barrel was kept full, and if the angel's share is not too much, and if he used k-meta before he died, and if the barrel was not a new one.....

Who Knows?? The proof in the pudding is in the eating as they say.

Worth a try.

Just a thought, but maybe they wouldn't mind you taking the barrel with as well. That would give you additional flexibility on the issue.

Last edited:
Doug, BIL is unable to help bottle because of medical issues.
John, I don't know if barrel was kept full, BIL father was a "old time" wine maker I don't if he used K-Meta and the barrel is older and well used.
Botigol, BIL said I can have the barrel when I'm done. I know that the father had a 50 gallon barrel and a 14 gallon demi-jon as well.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm planning to take care of the wine the second week of August. My plan is to remove it and bring it back to my house and check the sulfur, taste it and decide what to do with it. .Going on vacation next week. Thanks Bakervinyard

Their mindset is that this is the best batch in the world since its the last one. You have to go ahead and bottle some before you leave and let them have it to look at before you take the rest home to "fix" it up to your style. You bring the old lady back something with sulfites in it that she isnt used to your reviews will be negative! WVMJ

Latest posts

Back