Cellar Craft 18 Liter Cellar Craft Internationa Amarone 6 week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anodari

Reaction score
I bought this kit because It got great reviews. I started it tonight. It measured 1.90 SG, 23 Brix and 12% alcohol. I thought that was a bit too low for Amerone. It came with the 12lbs musk, but I am not sure if the SG would go up once all the musk is in the juice. I have heard of people adding raisins to boost the sugar level. Any advice, or should I leave it alone and follow directions?

I have neve made the Cellar Craft but can say that all the winery series kits from RJS have starting sg's around 1.105 which really go well with the big body. What is the suggested Sd range fro this kit? The grape skins will surely up tye abv on this as they have a big grape pack, is this the super pack?

It doesnt give a starting SG, whcih I thought was odd. It was a bit hard to read becasue there was a lot of foam. But it looked like 1.09, I am not sure if it would of gone higher with the grape pack in there. the skins were about 12lbs. I had to submerse the skins in a large sock bag that it came with.

I wouldnt add anything ese as all those skins would surely bring up the abv.

Thanks Wade, I just did an SG and after 2 days of fermentation its at 1.10. Something tells me when I first measured it, the musk hadnt mixed through the juice. If its 1.10 now, it must have been higher a day ago. I'll leave well enough alone. This is my 2nd kit, and I am so much more calmer than the
1st one

Good to hear and I was hoping you idnt accidentally water down your Cellar Craft kit too much but it looks like all is good. Glad to hear that, now let this kit age well or at least save a few bottles for past a year to really see what this kit can do!

I was concerend as well. I followed it by the directions so i should be good.
thanks for the help.

I have degassed and clarified the wine. I racked it to another carboy and will bulk age for 6 months before I bottle. I am really surprised in how the tatse changed from 4 to 6 weeks. My wife who doesnt drink had a small taste and said it was good. I had a glass fater 6 weeks and can only imagine what it will be like when i let it age.

Remember to give it another dose of k-meta after 3-4 months of aging. 1/4 tsp for a 6 gallon batch.

thanks Wade, the instructions says every 55 days. i have the note taped on the carboy with all the dates that i have to add k-meta. I am thinking about stating another batch. Leaning towards:RJ Rossio Fortismo, Cru International Boralo, Stags Leap Merlot, or a Walla Walla Merlot. Any advice?

I have made this kit (well the old version of it) and have to say it is one of the best kits ever. Be prepare to give this one around 2-3 years to age to appreciate its full potential. I have 4 bottles left of a 2005 batch which are earmarked for competitions. Thus far, every competition I have entered this wine in has earned a gold medal. Just remember, it is going to take a while to reach its full potential.

2-3 years...I not a patient guy by virtue, so this endeavor is a bit challenging. What red wine kit would recommend that I can drink a decent bottle in 6 months?

If you like reds try Red Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Malbec.

2-3 years...I not a patient guy by virtue, so this endeavor is a bit challenging. What red wine kit would recommend that I can drink a decent bottle in 6 months?

Depends on what you consider "decent" The Pinot Noir is a great suggestion. Might look at a Mosti Montepulciano or Lambrusco. You can drink your Amarone at 6 months but you are gonna like it a whole lot better after a couple years. Amarone is a big wine that takes time to develop. It's structure will change numerous times as it matures. It will taste good, then not so good, and then great. Your gonna have to learn patience to be a very happy winemaker. LOL

Very cool, i was told this amarone cellar craft kit was one of the best out there. I had not even had amarone before, very unusual for us here in N.America. So Wifey and I bought a bottle..wow, great nose, looong finish, fantastic. If the kit comes out anything like this that will be great. the bottle is 2004... so may take some time to get to this flavor.

so, everyone recommends the c.craft amarone? i was told c.craft makes the best wine by one online veondor who sells the big names. from this forum it seems like most love RJS though. \\

I made this kit and bottled it last May. Opened a bottle last month and it was great. Still have a good year to wait for full potential, but it's gonna be a winner.

I visited 3 well stocked wine stores on Monday. Interesting to note that the cheapest Amarone started at $46 / bottle. This is expensive stuff.

Yeah, the process where they allow the grapes to become dried and raisin like makes the wine more expensive I was told. I found a bottle that was a mis-shipment for $15 and it was great. We went back the next day and bought the rest they had left.

Hopefully the kit can make wine comparable to the bottles of Amarone at the store. I'm a newbie so I'm still not sure how good these kit wines will be! If anyone thinks their home made Amarone compares to store kits let me know.. just seems hard to fully duplicate the process on the small scale sans oak barrels, etc!

Back