15 Months and still hazy - Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
So it was started in July of 2017 and today it is still definitely hazy. All peach recipe with 2 times normal pectic enzyme added. Have used Bentonite as well. For a week or more it's been sitting by the basement garage door (Not insulated and a major air leaker) and the outside temps ranging from low 20s to mid 40s A little more clear but definitely still hazy. 3 gallon carboy is too big to fit in the spare fridge so that is out as an option unless I rack it into 3 x 1 gallon carboys.

I think this one is going to get bottled with a label something like "Lazy Hazy Summer Peach Wine"

But still open to ideas...

Last edited:
I have the same problem with a green apple Reisling I added tart apples to it and no matter what I can't decrease the haze yet the taste is spot on even better..

I have sparkaloid but but heard various complaints so I've never taken the time to prep and use it.

Certainly another dose of PE is in order.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tonight it's only supposed to hit 29 and I figure that a wine with 10%plus ABV should be safe that cold - Any votes on that? I can just open the basement garage door cover the airlock with a small plastic bag and set it on a board and cold crash it. High tomorrow is only supposed to hit 34 so that should keep it chilled for about 24 hours to see if I get any additional clearing. I actually have 2 one gallon batches of Peach Vanilla and a young Apple wine (3 gallons) that could all sit out and cold crash for a bit. The peach Vanillas are actually cloudy not just hazy and they are 12 months old.

Tonight it's only supposed to hit 29 and I figure that a wine with 10%plus ABV should be safe that cold - Any votes on that? I can just open the basement garage door cover the airlock with a small plastic bag and set it on a board and cold crash it. High tomorrow is only supposed to hit 34 so that should keep it chilled for about 24 hours to see if I get any additional clearing. I actually have 2 one gallon batches of Peach Vanilla and a young Apple wine (3 gallons) that could all sit out and cold crash for a bit. The peach Vanillas are actually cloudy not just hazy and they are 12 months old.
You're good down into the high teens (and lower). I've accidentally gone to the low teens and it started to slush up a bit. Just do not do it in a glass carboy, unless you can warm it up to room temperature really, really slow.

I have the same problem with a green apple Reisling I added tart apples to it and no matter what I can't decrease the haze yet the taste is spot on even better..
I have the same without the tart apples added. Tastes great but it would not clear. It is a kit, used their clearing agents but no love. Tried pectic enzyme and didn't help. Finally hit it with bentonite, then a few days late sparkaloid. It is now finally slowly clearing. Good luck with yours. Arne.

I have the same without the tart apples added. Tastes great but it would not clear. It is a kit, used their clearing agents but no love. Tried pectic enzyme and didn't help. Finally hit it with bentonite, then a few days late sparkaloid. It is now finally slowly clearing. Good luck with yours. Arne.

Thanks - never got the carboys out of the garage. Going to do that now. Just have to find a few plastic bags to fit loosely over the airlocks. As far concerns about warming them up too fast. When I move them back inside I'll leave them right by that basement garage door. Basement is now about 55 degrees and over by the door I imagine in the low to mid-forties. After a couple of days I'll bring them in gradually warm them up and hit them with PE and perhaps one more Bentonite treatment. Might take a one gallon Peach Vanilla carboy and try Sparkaloid on it as a test.

I got enough feed back on these forums to invest in a mini jet filter...around the 8th month I used it when I was due to rack, couldn't be happier with the results

Hello, this is my first post. I've made 3 batches of peach wine. The first two came out cloudy. I found that on the third batch, I used 2.5x the amount of pectic enzyme at the beginning and the wine ended crystal clear. I had no luck fixing the first two (tried clearing agents and pec at the end, but no joy). Not terribly helpful, but for future batches, this should help the issue.

Bentonite Twice hasn't worked Chitosan (5 days ago) has helped some but not completely. Not sure I want to try Spakaloid with all the negative outcomes I've heard. Going to give it a little more time and then perhaps filter.

Currently have a Harris gravity filter unit. Not sure that anything else will remove it all without some high-end filtration work and I can't see that as worthwhile for a total of 5 gallons of wine.

I've made several batches (maybe 4-5 six gallon batches) of peach wine and clearing has always needed a second hit of Super-Kleer along with a second hit of pectin enzyme. End result has always been a haze free wine.

CLEAR AT LAST !!! Beautiful clear Peach wine. Dose of Chitosan did the trick for the 3 gallon batch. The other 2 One gallon batches of Peach Vanilla - no change. Will have to try a couple of other tricks on them maybe. BUT at least I can now stabilize, backsweeten and bottle this peach. 18 months to finish. Should be ready drink after It's been bottled a month.

The last batch of Peach Wine I made from.....Peaches took 9 months to clear and taste was good, but not great enough to validate the effort of prep'ing the peaches. I now cheat. I use 5 gallons of Welch's White Grape Peach juice and people are telling me its the best Peach wine they have ever had.....not that they have had more than mine. Either way, its easy, doesn't require any effort to clear, and doesn't need aging. In fact a batch has never lasted more than 1 year, so I have no idea what aging would do to/for it.

The last batch of Peach Wine I made from.....Peaches took 9 months to clear and taste was good, but not great enough to validate the effort of prep'ing the peaches. I now cheat. I use 5 gallons of Welch's White Grape Peach juice and people are telling me its the best Peach wine they have ever had.....not that they have had more than mine. Either way, its easy, doesn't require any effort to clear, and doesn't need aging. In fact a batch has never lasted more than 1 year, so I have no idea what aging would do to/for it.

Appreciate the idea. I am sort of a stickler for making my wines "100%" of a given fruit. I will add a little white grape juice but normally on the order of 1-2 oz of frozen concentrate to a 3 gallon batch. The clearing issue is just something I'm prepared to deal with - I typically do one batch a year of peach and about 4-5 other 3 gallon batches of other wines.

I keep finding new favorites every year - First it was Black Raspberry then that was replaced by Peach, then Black Currant, Then Tart Cherry, Then Plum - and I've only been doing this for about 3 1.2 years now.

Here are a couple recipes from natural fruit I have tweaked over the years and people find very good.....and you get to double up on the wine from the fruit. Start with the basic fruit recipes and then make the Skeeter Pee from the fruit left overs. Be careful with the Skeeter Pee because it drinks like lemon-aid and will mess you up. The yeast slurry referenced in the SP recipes is simply the slop that floats to the top of your fruit wine. Just skim it off and add it to the SP.

Attachments

• Black Cherry 2017.txt
    1,000 bytes · Views: 8
  • Blueberry 2017.txt
    947 bytes · Views: 14
  • Skeeter Pee - Cherry 2018.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Skeeter Pee - Blueberry 2018.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 5
Currently my wine making is only focused on pure fruit wines (Country wine) using 100% fruit of one variety. I grow my own blueberries, wild black raspberries, wild blackberries, and apples. some day our plums will actually produce a crop and I'll make a boatload of plum wine. SP has never been of interest to me - just not in my basket of things I enjoy.

Latest posts

Back