15 Months and still hazy - Peach Wine

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Scooter68, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 7, 2018 at 5:33 PM #1

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

So it was started in July of 2017 and today it is still definitely hazy. All peach recipe with 2 times normal pectic enzyme added. Have used Bentonite as well. For a week or more it's been sitting by the basement garage door (Not insulated and a major air leaker) and the outside temps ranging from low 20s to mid 40s A little more clear but definitely still hazy. 3 gallon carboy is too big to fit in the spare fridge so that is out as an option unless I rack it into 3 x 1 gallon carboys.

I think this one is going to get bottled with a label something like "Lazy Hazy Summer Peach Wine"

But still open to ideas...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:49 PM
  2. Dec 7, 2018 at 6:13 PM #2

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker

try Super Kleer or new version Durafine(?) get the temp up to 70degF.

3. Dec 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM #3

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

Add another double dose of pectic enzyme to it. Mix it up with some of the wine. It can't hurt.

4. Dec 7, 2018 at 7:17 PM #4

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member

second on that, hit it with successive doses until you push it over the edge.

cmason1957 likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM #5

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

I have the same problem with a green apple Reisling I added tart apples to it and no matter what I can't decrease the haze yet the taste is spot on even better..

6. Dec 7, 2018 at 8:52 PM #6

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

I have sparkaloid but but heard various complaints so I've never taken the time to prep and use it.

Certainly another dose of PE is in order.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tonight it's only supposed to hit 29 and I figure that a wine with 10%plus ABV should be safe that cold - Any votes on that? I can just open the basement garage door cover the airlock with a small plastic bag and set it on a board and cold crash it. High tomorrow is only supposed to hit 34 so that should keep it chilled for about 24 hours to see if I get any additional clearing. I actually have 2 one gallon batches of Peach Vanilla and a young Apple wine (3 gallons) that could all sit out and cold crash for a bit. The peach Vanillas are actually cloudy not just hazy and they are 12 months old.

7. Dec 8, 2018 at 12:33 AM #7

ceeaton

ceeaton

ceeaton

Three is the charm, right?

You're good down into the high teens (and lower). I've accidentally gone to the low teens and it started to slush up a bit. Just do not do it in a glass carboy, unless you can warm it up to room temperature really, really slow.

8. Dec 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM #8

Arne

Arne

Arne

I have the same without the tart apples added. Tastes great but it would not clear. It is a kit, used their clearing agents but no love. Tried pectic enzyme and didn't help. Finally hit it with bentonite, then a few days late sparkaloid. It is now finally slowly clearing. Good luck with yours. Arne.

Scooter68 likes this.
  9. Dec 8, 2018 at 8:10 PM #9

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Thanks - never got the carboys out of the garage. Going to do that now. Just have to find a few plastic bags to fit loosely over the airlocks. As far concerns about warming them up too fast. When I move them back inside I'll leave them right by that basement garage door. Basement is now about 55 degrees and over by the door I imagine in the low to mid-forties. After a couple of days I'll bring them in gradually warm them up and hit them with PE and perhaps one more Bentonite treatment. Might take a one gallon Peach Vanilla carboy and try Sparkaloid on it as a test.

10. Dec 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM #10

porkchopmessiah

porkchopmessiah

porkchopmessiah

I got enough feed back on these forums to invest in a mini jet filter...around the 8th month I used it when I was due to rack, couldn't be happier with the results