15 month dilemma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it started at 1.090, I have a hydrometer. Turns out after trying to kick start the yeast again, it didn't work, I threw it out. I had started the same type of yeast in another batch the same day, no problem. I did not check the acid level on that batch. Seeing as it was my first batch of non wild grape wine, I didn't think of it. After restarting it with more grapes I checked the acid level and it was at 4, a little low, could that be it?

Did you do all the above today? I would have suggested you wait a day or so before giving up. Some batches are just a little slow to take off.
\I have a red raspberry that i was super tart. I added calcium carbonate and that helped a bit. Then oak chips; the oak is still working. After a few more weeks, I may try egg white fining. As a last resort I will back sweeten and bottle and hope for the best It may make sangria.

An update on the red raspberry, it has been on American oak chips for a little over a month and I can tell a real difference. After stirring the oak flavor into the wine, it was still a little tart. I'm going to give it a little more time to see how it develops. I may or may not add more oak. I don't want it oaky, just softer and not so tart. If this works out, I may rethink "never again for red raspberry".

Part of the fun is taking a "meh" or "ugh" batch and turning into something drinkable. It is wonderful when a batch is perfect but sometimes a challenge can be fun.

Did you do all the above today? I would have suggested you wait a day or so before giving up. Some batches are just a little slow to take off.

An update on the red raspberry, it has been on American oak chips for a little over a month and I can tell a real difference. After stirring the oak flavor into the wine, it was still a little tart. I'm going to give it a little more time to see how it develops. I may or may not add more oak. I don't want it oaky, just softer and not so tart. If this works out, I may rethink "never again for red raspberry".

Part of the fun is taking a "meh" or "ugh" batch and turning into something drinkable. It is wonderful when a batch is perfect but sometimes a challenge can be fun.
I started the first round of the wine with the skins & seeds in a bag last on 2-12-22. By 2-15-22 with sg having started at 1.090 it had only gone down to 1.081 My temperature was 74 degrees, ph was 3.5, TA was 5.5. At this time I brought in a new bunch of grapes, juiced them and removed the seeds & skins on the first batch. Started a new batch with new yeast today.

I had it started at 1.090, I have a hydrometer. Turns out after trying to kick start the yeast again, it didn't work, I threw it out. I had started the same type of yeast in another batch the same day, no problem. I did not check the acid level on that batch. Seeing as it was my first batch of non wild grape wine, I didn't think of it. After restarting it with more grapes I checked the acid level and it was at 4, a little low, could that be it?
Update on my first "non-wild" grape wine. After my first ferment not working and my 2nd yeast starter not turning around (read above) I threw it out and restarted a new yeast through a yeast starting method over ten hours, adding a bit of sugar, yeast nutrient, water I pitched it in the wine. Let it go overnight, the best I got was a cloudy looking wine, with swirls of more cloudy and other areas not as much. I gave it a stir, waited till the night, same thing, same look. At this point I had nothing to loose, I added some yeast to the top, didn't stir. By the next morning I had some action. That was yesterday. 7:30 this morning I checked the sg, it was 1.070, temp was 82 degrees! I threw a handful of ice cubes into the must. At 3:00 this afternoon my temp was 74 degrees, sg was 1.060 It looks like I just uncorked a bottle of Champaign there are so many bubbles. I can hear it when I walk into the room! This will be interesting yet!

I put in on the heated floor this morning and it is up to 40 degrees now, I am going to close the furnace room door, this will also raise the temp as the in floor heat with the closed door will warm up the room nicely.
Hello all,
After a 2nd attempt at a yeast starter solution I was about to give up. As a last ditch effort I sprinkled some yeast on top of the must and did not stir it in. The next day I had fermentation. After a couple of days of very strong fermentation, basically, I could hear it when I walked into the room, I set it in my garage to cool it down as the must was at 82 degrees! I have it down around 50 degrees and its still cooking along. sg is now 1.004, so it is almost complete!

Latest posts

Back