100L Speidel feedback?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them. They work very well. I like them.

https://stcoemgen.com/2013/11/15/primary-fermenter/
Only issue: Avoid going above 100 L on the square ones. I have a 200 L square unit and it hard to clean through the small top hole.
Thanks!

Any idea what the actual filled to the top volume is? (I know for both the 20L & 30L - they hold bit more than that - ie) 20L holds 6gals and 30L holds bit over 9gals)

Cheers!

Thanks!

Any idea what the actual filled to the top volume is?

Good Question. I had to laugh at myself for this good question. Because I have such tanks for 20+ years and never bothered to actually measure.... :)

I simply fill them till just below the top, then screw on the cap. One must use Speidel corks and air locks to do this as I found third party corks are too long and go into the wine.

Whatever little is left over after filling, I drink.... Hic.... :d

Hope this helps.

Good Question. I had to laugh at myself for this good question. Because I have such tanks for 20+ years and never bothered to actually measure.... :)

I simply fill them till just below the top, then screw on the cap. One must use Speidel corks and air locks to do this as I found third party corks are too long and go into the wine.

Whatever little is left over after filling, I drink.... Hic.... :d

Hope this helps.
Lol :cool:

Are you using the 100L for both fermentation and bulk aging?

Cheers!

I use 30 L, 60 L, 100 L and 200 L for both.

But I make only white wine, so bulk age typically less than 6 months. If longer, I would put the wine in glass or stainless.
Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it :)

Cheers!

I've a question if you don't mind balaton. The cap on the Speidel looks to be about 7 or 8". Great to get a hand or arm into the container. But I always fill the glass carboys up into the neck to minimize headspace. At 7", this is 10x the surface area or funtional headspace. Not a problem for longer term aging?

I've got 2x 20L and 5x 30L Speidel vessels and love them.

Thinking about adding the 100L to my arsenal and wondering if anyone has any experience/feedback with this unit?
https://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-100l-264-gal.html

Thanks & Cheers!
Given your other storage sizes, that's a huge jump. Think about your 20s and 30s - the volume is 20 liter and 30 liter to the shoulders of the vessel. The 30 liter is almost 40 liters topped off. I know from experience that a fully topped off 100L is just under 30 gallons of wine. In fact, you could say it is 30 gallons.

Maybe get the 60L?

You'll want to build a wheeled carriage too..

1660865420715.jpeg

@balatonwine -- any chance you could post some pics of your fermentation / bulk aging setup?

I'm curious about the logistics of using these bigger Speidels -- as @crushday points out re: his dolly system.

Cheers!

I've a question if you don't mind balaton. The cap on the Speidel looks to be about 7 or 8". Great to get a hand or arm into the container. But I always fill the glass carboys up into the neck to minimize headspace. At 7", this is 10x the surface area or funtional headspace. Not a problem for longer term aging?

If concerned about head space volume, simply add some inert gas to the head space.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), a tank of Nitrogen is a good investment for any wine maker.

Last edited:
@balatonwine -- any chance you could post some pics of your fermentation / bulk aging setup?

I'm curious about the logistics of using these bigger Speidels -- as @crushday points out re: his dolly system.

I do not have photos at this time.

But I go vertical. Mainly because I like to gravity move wine after the primary fermentation.

My cellar roof is 3 meters tall. My racks are made of 20 cm (8 in) wood beams set on concrete blocks. I have a wine pump to move must to the top tank at crush. The tanks are stacked on the beams. After racking, to move tanks back up, I have a hoist. I do not hoist the 200 L tanks, but the 100 L I can. The 60 L two people can lift up each level, standing on the beams. I have one two wheel dolly and one four wheel truck that I can put a tank on to move around the floor. When moving I screw on the hard caps so the tanks to not leak and can be tiled in any direction. That I all I need.

Last edited:
If concerned about head space volume, simply add some inert gas to the head space.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), a tank of Nitrogen is a good investment for any wine maker.
I keep a tank of Nitrogen for HVAC work, but many here say inerts quickly dissipate unless in a tightly sealed container. Lots of chance to lose a batch.

But I go vertical. Mainly because I like to gravity move wine after the primary fermentation.

My cellar roof is 3 meters tall. My racks are made of 20 cm (8 in) wood beams set on concrete blocks. I have a wine pump to move must to the top tank at crush. The tanks are stacked on the beams. After racking, to move tanks back up, I have a hoist. I do not hoist the 200 L tanks, but the 100 L I can. The 60 L two people can lift up each level, standing on the beams. I have one two wheel dolly and one four wheel truck that I can put a tank on to move around the floor. When moving I screw on the hard caps so the tanks to not leak and can be tiled in any direction. That I all I need.
Thanks for the glimpse inside your operations!

Cheers :cool:

Do you using any kind of drill mounted stirring attachment with your larger Speidels?

Do you using any kind of drill mounted stirring attachment with your larger Speidels?

No.

I have PVC and copper pipes sealed at the ends for stirring. Unscrew the cap, stick them in, and and stir by hand. During primary, usually two or three times a day. I use the copper when I think the wine is getting a little too much sulfur reductive. The copper helps to stop that.

Basically, based on 20 years of experience and *feel*. So no easy answer. Wine making is a both an art and a science.

Do you still utilize the spigots when racking ?

Latest posts

Back