"100% Juice" versus "100% Juice From Concentrate"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
Ok, the Welch's Grape Juice company's discontinuing their line of frozen fruit juice concentrates has me thinking.

I picked up some Kirkland100% Apple Juice (only ingredient stated is apples) at Costco the other day. I also picked up some Welch's 100% Concord Grape Juice (only ingredient stated is concord grapes).

Would not this make a wine with more body and flavor than using a juice "from concentrate" such as the Welch's 100% juice jugs?

I've been planning on making a Welch's White Grape and Peach using jugs of their 100% juice and some canned peaches. I'm now thinking of going with the Kirkland 100% Apple Juice and adding about a gallon of canned peaches...or maybe several pounds of frozen peaches. I know the taste will be different due to using apple versus grape juice, but it seems to me that it would create a richer/fuller tasting wine.

Any thoughts about this? Is my idea full of bullet holes? Naturally, if I had fresh peaches I would use them.

Something to keep the mind and hands working in the hobby. If you aren't doing that you might get involved some real "Fun" stuff like scanning old Family photos for my grandmothers memoirs.

Addie_Keuling_Robinson.jpg

Yes, Off topic!

I have been using white grape juice from concentrate in my fruit wines instead of water. since cannot find the frozen variety anymore. wines seem to be just as good if not better. your suggested method for peach wine will work. some flavor change might occur. I would use canned peaches in primary. once wine has completed fermentation use again in secondary to add more peach flavor.

Having tried store bought peaches, canned peaches, frozen peaches, for me personally I have decided to just wait until peaches are in season. Just wasn't happy with the depth of flavor from the others. IF you can find very ripe store bought 'fresh' peaches they would be best. The texture of canned peaches tells me that they were never fully ripe when picked for canning.

So I think for a test batch you can get some ideas about what flavors/blends will work, but; I think the best flavors will only be there with the fresh picked ripe fruit or frozen fruit picked ripe.
Peach is a great example because if you think about eating a fresh RIPE peach you know it's messy, the fruit is softer and the juice just drips all over you. THOSE are the best peaches for wine making - BUT they are the worst for the canners and frozen fruit packers, and of course they are a disaster for the markets fruit displays. For FRUIT * wine makers we want the highest sugars and flavors and that only happens when fruit is just on the edge of spoiling - a fine line. * That may not be precisely true for all fruits but in general Stores, Canners, Packers do not want fruit too close to fully ripe because they fall apart.

And YES Awesome work on cleaning up that photo. My fun is that the labels on the back of these photos, when they exist are a bit sketchy at times. I am learning a lot of family history and tying that in with my grandmothers verbal stories and memoirs is very enlightening. Involves Al Capones,gang, and a variety of other stories funny and some sordid or less enjoyable history. Anyway back the wine topics.

Last edited:
I have been using white grape juice from concentrate in my fruit wines instead of water. since cannot find the frozen variety anymore. wines seem to be just as good if not better. your suggested method for peach wine will work. some flavor change might occur. I would use canned peaches in primary. once wine has completed fermentation use again in secondary to add more peach flavor.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure though, are you saying my original idea of using the Welch's White Grape and Peach jug juice with added canned peaches may work better than using the Kirkland apple juice (and adding peaches)? I'm a little slow....

Scooter68, your description of a *good* peach is perfect. Yes, I know what you're talking about. Just about any fruit is like that (at least for me). If you don't have to grab a towel or a shirt sleeve to wipe your chin then you haven't gotten into the good stuff!!!!! I'm going to keep fresh peaches at the top of my list. Looks like June and July is the big harvest season here in Alabama...I'll be anticipating it!!!

Latest posts

Back