10 Gallon bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does yours snap shut so you can put an air lock on? That’s my only concern. Can’t really tell for sure.

Not an air-tight lid. None of the Brute style have that feature. So once initial fermentation is done, it will need to be moved to a carboy or similar for Oxygen free storage. So it's great as a fermentor, not good for storage after that.

Does yours snap shut so you can put an air lock on? That’s my only concern. Can’t really tell for sure.
I've yet to see any container like these, not made specifically for winemaking, that has an airtight seal. There is probably specialized containers that fit the bill, but I have no idea where to search for them.

I have a pair of 50 gallon food-grade barrels with a snap-ring top. These seal 100%, but have nothing resembling handles so lifting them is perilous. They're great for transporting crushed grapes, as they can be turned upside down and won't leak.

Mine has a snap down lid but no hole for an airlock. I don't really think I'll need an airlock for how I plan to use it, but you could drill a hole and buy a rubber grommet that would fit an airlock.
You can also use a #3 drilled stopper. Years ago my fermenters had black grommet, but all recent ones had none. The stopper works fine.

Latest posts

Back