1 step got into my red batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate w

Junior
Reaction score
Brand new winemaker here.

Doing my 1st batches from grapes i have been growing for 4 years. Doing a 3 gallon red batch and a 3 gallon red batch.

I was racking my red batch and i was way over zealous with my 1 step cleaner/sanitizer. The bucket, the racking tube, the carboy all probobly had some undisolved crystals adhered to them after dumping prior to racking. After racking i noted increased cloudyness and debree at the top of the carboy. I reracked and upong attempted degassing i noticed a soapy froth. Rinsing the just used carboy revealed that yep, i got 1 step into the wine.

Is there anyway to remove it, or is the batch junk? I am now certain thete is a bunch in there, how much i dont know, but there definitely is a substantial amount.

Advice???

And thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice all.

I have not yet added k max. I will definitely get some and give it a try. Glad i posted here before dumping it. Its been sitting since last racking for 2 weeks with no separation at all. Hopefully the k max does the trick.

I just realized my campdon tablets are sodium metabisulfite, i have been using these rather than k meta potassium metabisulite. I have been adding them during every racking. Will this work for attempting to separate out the 1 step? Or am i better off just buying k mata?

I just realized my campdon tablets are sodium metabisulfite, i have been using these rather than k meta potassium metabisulite. I have been adding them during every racking. Will this work for attempting to separate out the 1 step? Or am i better off just buying k mata?
Yes and yes.

Yes, NA-meta works about the same as K-meta, so it will do the job.

Yes, K-meta is better to use. If you are making small, 1 to 3 US gallon batches (4 to 12 liters), Campden are convenient. Note - you can get Campden made from K-meta as well as NA-meta.

However, if you're making 5 US gallon / 19 liter or larger batches, powdered K-meta is both cheaper and easier to use.

Latest posts

Back