1 In 5 California Early Adopters of EVs Move Back To ICE - For Convenience Reasons......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see if Ford and GM can do in 2021 what Tesla did in 2020. In general, there seems to be money moving out of trendy, growth oriented (and perhaps more volatile investments so far in Q2.

I had a tesla and loved it. Until it locked me out of the car. Digital Phone key didn't unlock the door. Plastic RFID key didn't unlock the door. I had to send a remote command to open the front boot for it to become responsive. That was enough for me to not trust the tech in it yet. The actual car itself I had no issues with.
Wait until the fully automated vehicles come along. Absolutely nothing can go wrong...... go wrong. .......go wrong ........go wrong.......

I doubt they are dumb. I suspect they just got tired of always having to charge a vehicle everyday. I can't imagine coming home from work, your tired you come home and eat and go to bed and the next morning you get up and you realize you forgot to plug in the car and now your trip to (fill in the blank) is postponed or canceled because you have to charge your car up and it will take all day.......

The Cybertruck is the ugliest vehicle ever planned.

You can't even BUY a Tesla in Texas! You will never be able to buy a Tesla in Texas as its not legal to sell a car direct to the public via the manufacturer. Guess who are the largest campaign contributors to politicians in Texas?

Automobile dealers.......

Oh and you can't buy a Tesla in New Mexico for the same exact reason!

Since I'm working remote I charge my vehicle every 10 days maybe and that is because I want to plug it in, not because the battery is almost zero.
Everyone has different needs, but for me I wouldn't see anything wrong plugging my car daily (if need be), takes merely 10 seconds when I get home, I could be tired as hell but getting that charge handle and plugging into my car adds nothing to make me not do it. To me, once you go EV you just become a bit more organized but those crying babies complaining that they didn't plug in because they're tired.....give me a break..!! :slp
These cars provide way over 300 miles of range, not many people NEED to drive to work that much in a daily basis, but crying babies will be there no matter what... LOL

In CT, the dealer mafia has also done everything in their power to lobby and prohibit any EV manufacturer to sell directly in CT, which is all bananas and BS, but we're fighting. Honestly, for me it is a hassle walking into a dealership to negotiate a price on a car, just did that recently since my son wants a car. Just like those who were opposing online sale of anything in the past (clothing, food and everything else) now realize how popular Amazon has become.

Yes, driving an EV may take a bit of adjustment at first (for some) but once you get it you never look back in most cases (I tell you from experience of the hundreds in our CT group who made the switch).

The CyberTruck is ugly, but it grows on you after a while :cool:

My son has hinted at getting a Tesla Model 3 (he is merely 18 years old..!! and a part timer at Costco), he is the only one at home who has driven my car on very specific occasions and only a handful of times, and once he goes back to driving his sister Honda Civic, he always comes back telling me there's nothing better than driving an EV....and he is only 18!!

That few minutes charging time will be a reality, we have to just give it some time...

My son has hinted at getting a Tesla Model 3 (he is merely 18 years old..!! and a part timer at Costco), he is the only one at home who has driven my car on very specific occasions and only a handful of times, and once he goes back to driving his sister Honda Civic, he always comes back telling me there's nothing better than driving an EV....and he is only 18!!

That few minutes charging time will be a reality, we have to just give it some time...
I doubt it. We can't even charge a AAA battery in a few minutes! ;)

Our power grid is not ready for mass adoption yet. The power grid needs to undergo an evolution. We need homes that generate power from solar and wind with the ability for the excess to support the grid. Parking lots need to be converted to solar farms (while remaining a parking lot). We have lots of square miles tied up in asphalt. The whole battery manufacture/recycle process needs to be improved. And don't forget about taxes. Roads are built and maintained by a gas tax. If you don't buy gas, where does the money for roads come from. It is a complex issue and I've not seen a comprehensive plan that may work. Saying we need to go green or buying an EV doesn't get us there in the long term. My brother, who works in the car business, believes hydrogen may be where we go in the future, And EV with a hydrogen fuel cell may be the best option down the road, depending on if they can get a fuel cell to run on available air (vs pure oxygen) reliably. There are steps being made in oxygen concentrator technology than may lead to improvements in fuel cell technologies. Time will tell.

Last edited:
LOL, amazing what people will believe. If you look at the article in Yahoo it says "in a recent study", what study? You don't know because they don't tell you. For all you know it is a study by Shell Oil. I know several people with electric car and none of them have even considered going back. When they don't tell you who, what or where it's wise to not believe them. For 5 years we heard "People are saying" and we never once saw or heard these "People".

LOL, amazing what people will believe. If you look at the article in Yahoo it says "in a recent study", what study? You don't know because they don't tell you. For all you know it is a study by Shell Oil. I know several people with electric car and none of them have even considered going back. When they don't tell you who, what or where it's wise to not believe them. For 5 years we heard "People are saying" and we never once saw or heard these "People".

Exactly.
This is why I mentioned that may part of the FUDs out there always going against Tesla (I do not own Tesla stock BTW).
Not a single person here in CT that I know from a group has ever seriously considered going back to gas cars, there could be an exception here and there but the vast majority not even blinked once they got to drive their EV.

I don't doubt that folks who drive EVs like them. However, the power infrastructure, ecological, and tax issues are not FUD -- they are very real.

The gas tax is critical to the maintenance of road systems in the USA. Because of the pandemic all 50 states are suffering shortfalls in revenue because people are not driving as much. With the rise of EVs, the tax situation is already changing, as states must compensate for the loss of gas tax revenue. According to a recent report, 28 states have special registration for hybrid and/or EVs, and 14 are charging additional registration fees. CT is not -- yet. It's something to keep in mind.

For those that do not realize it, in the USA the gasoline tax funds most or all of the road infrastructure building and maintenance in each state. The loss of this revenue is not trivial.

Power infrastructure? CA has a mandate to eliminate gasoline vehicles by 2035. The articles I've read stating that it's possible also state the power generation infrastructure MUST be beefed up a lot to meet the demand. This has to be tackled now to make it happen, and it's not going to be cheap.

I read one proposal is to convert parking lots into solar farms, e.g., build a rack over each parking lot to house solar panels. If I could drive to work, plug my car in while it sits all day, and have a full charge when I head for home? That sounds great. [I also like the idea of my car being in the shade so the interior doesn't compete with the surface of the sun for the "which is hottest today?" award!]

Completely agree regarding infrastructure. Although it has been improving significantly lately with more chargers everywhere.
Many and many employers are now installing EV chargers for employees to charge even for free. At work they did this last year and a company across has the same. May be slowly but definitely improving. Even towns around here have free L2 chargers, solar farms I think would help tremendously as we have so much wind and sun to get energy from.

LOL, amazing what people will believe. If you look at the article in Yahoo it says "in a recent study", what study? You don't know because they don't tell you.
Fair point.

I know several people with electric car and none of them have even considered going back. When they don't tell you who, what or where it's wise to not believe them.

Wait, so you know "several people" that will not go back to ICE, and this makes you discard a study that says that 4 out of 5 are not going back? :?

It may be worth pointing out also that many people are against change and innovation, many love their beef up trucks and turn their eyes the other way when they hear EV. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but I really like when those against EVs have a test drive just for fun and their surprise is their face is to tell them “I told you so” 😎

The disruption to all the same and innovation seeing in Elon Musk has to be given credit, remember PayPal? That was just the initial disruption on how we do things, landing a rocket back to earth saving millions, the list goes on and time will tell but those reluctant to adapt to change may be left behind. Like a friend said, if you want to keep using that flip phone it’s fine, nothing wrong but you’re most likely losing benefits of today’s world’s technology.
Who doesn’t like using FaceTime to someone across the globe?

Adding chargers is not what I was referring to in regards to beefing up the power grid. We are already in danger of rolling back outs during peak demand, and to add more demand is asking for problems. Adding more chargers does make it more convenient to owners of EVs, but it doesn't supply the power they need to operate. We have some of these upgraded parking lots here in Ohio. I like the idea and it does keep you out of the sun and rain. If you have a chance, check out the Cincinnati Zoo. They have 'solar power parking lots', which help power the zoo while cutting their operating costs.

Last edited:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-021-00814-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back