1 In 5 California Early Adopters of EVs Move Back To ICE - For Convenience Reasons......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not completely surprising. Buying an EV is a commitment to doing things a little differently. You need to perhaps plan a bit more, take advantage of short term free charging, etc. You can't just run to the nearest gas station and be 'full' in three minutes. But people will figure out how to work with that. I'm not currently in the market for a car, but will be in 3-4 years and am already looking toward an EV. Will that be the car we take on long family road trips? Maybe not. But for daily driving, or short overnights, perfect. And honestly, by then range will probably be significantly increased. In the NC Outer Banks, where we take at least one trip a year, I'm already seeing rental houses advertising EV chargers as amenities. The early(ish) adopters are working the kinks out now. It's the folks that want to look cool until they realize it might cost them a few minutes of charging or planning that are bailing. I know a few people that own Teslas, and they aren't going back any time soon. Quite the contrary - they are looking to convert their other cars to EVs.

"Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home, and slightly fewer than that lacked Level 2 connections at their workplace."
Ford owners I assume....

Tesla has plenty of super chargers to supply demand. And every single EV owner I know here in CT (I admin a FB group of about 1k people) has a simple L2 charger at home. I have a NEMA 14-50 on 220v which gives me ~30miles/hour, plenty...!!!

If that story is true, which I do not think it is (FUD news), those owners must be dumb :slp

I'd never get tired on an EV, no reason why and watch the trend for people moving to EV....Tesla cannot even keep up with deliveries...!!

I have 2 friends who just went to take delivery of new Tesla Model 3 this Monday and they told me they had about 40 vehicles to be picked up by new owners that single day, in that single small location.....

Some folks may not like EVs, but that is the near future, hands down.

Did I say I LOVE my EV??? :try:try

My thoughts are that yea they work great for a daily commute or on the east coast but out west its gonna be a much harder row to hoe since you can drive all day and still be in the same state in many instances.

I know a few people that own Teslas, and they aren't going back any time soon. Quite the contrary - they are looking to convert their other cars to EVs.

Exactly the trend in CT, a single family member started with the switch, and now I've seen families with 3 Tesla cars....I can charge my car at a super charger L3 in 30 minutes while I stop at a rest area in a long road trip, no issue at all whatsoever.

I always say, once you go EV, you never look back...!! lol

Like Jim said, it is about planning when doing long trips, I know folks who went across the country, no problem. Tesla super chargers are expanding like crazy and they're everywhere pretty much.

nahhh, Toyota is really behind on EV, Tesla is currently manufacturing a car with over 400 miles of range, wait until they start producing cars with their new battery with 4680 cells (number may be off...). I wish Toyota was more in the lead.
Lucid coming out with the $$ car with over 500 miles. So time is going fast and you'll see by next year.

My car currently delivers over 300 miles of range, not shabby, and bought 3 years ago.

Varis your missed the point of the article.

80% charge in 10mins.........

This is critical to move EV from local "commuter car" to a car that works out here in the west.

nahhh, Toyota is really behind on EV, Tesla is currently manufacturing a car with over 400 miles of range, wait until they start producing cars with their new battery with 4680 cells (number may be off...). I wish Toyota was more in the lead.
Lucid coming out with the $$ car with over 500 miles. So time is going fast and you'll see by next year.

My car currently delivers over 300 miles of range, not shabby, and bought 3 years ago.

Varis your missed the point of the article.

80% charge in 10mins.........

This is critical to move EV from local "commuter car" to a car that works out here in the west.

I know, but my point is that those mentioned in the article (1 out of 5) may be dumb or don't know what they're doing, just my personal opinion though.
Cannot wait to see you driving the "ugly" CyberTruck.... :p

I doubt they are dumb. I suspect they just got tired of always having to charge a vehicle everyday. I can't imagine coming home from work, your tired you come home and eat and go to bed and the next morning you get up and you realize you forgot to plug in the car and now your trip to (fill in the blank) is postponed or canceled because you have to charge your car up and it will take all day.......

The Cybertruck is the ugliest vehicle ever planned.

You can't even BUY a Tesla in Texas! You will never be able to buy a Tesla in Texas as its not legal to sell a car direct to the public via the manufacturer. Guess who are the largest campaign contributors to politicians in Texas?

Automobile dealers.......

Oh and you can't buy a Tesla in New Mexico for the same exact reason!

I know, but my point is that those mentioned in the article (1 out of 5) may be dumb or don't know what they're doing, just my personal opinion though.
Cannot wait to see you driving the "ugly" CyberTruck.... :p

All keep in mind, i know a few who bought an EV and figured they would charge it with all the places they see around town. They are supprised how few there are for where they are going, shopping and traveling to / from. I think EV is here to stay, but just like any immerging new trend, it takes time for mass adoption and infrastructure. Can you imagine when the first gas powered buggies came about, didnt have gas stations everywhere, but there were plenty of hitching posts.

preferred by 8 out of 10 is not such a bad endorsement
If we were talking about the general population, I'd agree. However, the group in question is motivated enough to sink many thousands of dollars into the experiment. Current price on a low end Tesla is $40K USD, and a Chevy Bolt is not much cheaper. In this grouping, 20% is significant.

The total cost to install a L2 charging station supposedly ranges from $1,700 to $2,700, which is a significant investment. Not as much as the car, but when lumped on top of the car it's not a surprise that many don't install one. Given that a few years ago the median take-home in the USA was around $43 K, this is far too much for more than half the population.

Even with a personal L2 station, charging takes hours so as has been pointed out, it requires constant planning on the part of the owner. In contrast, the total time span to fill my Camry is 15 minutes including the round trip. This gives me a 400+ mile range and I can re-tank within 5 minutes anywhere along my trip. I plan my fill-ups, but if I mess up, the cost in time is often less than 10 minutes.

Let's look at the big picture -- to support more electric vehicles, we need to generate more electricity, which requires far more infrastructure to generate AND distribute. There is a large carbon footprint in creating batteries, and later we have to dispose of them. The grand view is not all that rosy. Besides, as more EV are created, the contention for public charging stations increases -- waiting 5 minutes in line to tank may be tedious, but having to wait an hour only to wait another hour while the car is charging?

Do we need to get away from oil/gasoline? I agree we do, but at this point mass adoption of EV is an experiment that may never achieve adoption except in specific areas, due to the systemic cost. Natural gas and hydrogen are contenders, and more likely to be successful.

I had a tesla and loved it. Until it locked me out of the car. Digital Phone key didn't unlock the door. Plastic RFID key didn't unlock the door. I had to send a remote command to open the front boot for it to become responsive. That was enough for me to not trust the tech in it yet. The actual car itself I had no issues with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back