1 In 5 California Early Adopters of EVs Move Back To ICE - For Convenience Reasons......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree regarding infrastructure. Although it has been improving significantly lately with more chargers everywhere.
Many and many employers are now installing EV chargers for employees to charge even for free. At work they did this last year and a company across has the same. May be slowly but definitely improving. Even towns around here have free L2 chargers, solar farms I think would help tremendously as we have so much wind and sun to get energy from.
Free charging for employees???? Will they pay taxes on those perks???

Some companies are basically promoting and supporting initiatives like this, maybe they don't mind pay for electricity as perhaps they look at it from a different perspective.

Here is your Cybertruck killer!

I can tell you love Ford :)

That EV truck is nice and welcome to play as a competition, hope their technology will be as good as Tesla, we'll see but any competition is good for us consumers for sure.

The Ford F150 is the most popular selling vehicle in America for like the last 40 years Varis. I said "vehicle", not truck also.

America loves this vehicle evidently.

I can tell you love Ford :)

The ICE is not going anywhere soon despite what surveys may seem to show. I saw one "green" survey done by Consumer Reports that said that something like 67% of the people buying a new vehicle consider tailpipe emissions as a top consideration when choosing a vehicle. If that's true, why are gas and diesel powered vehicles outselling EVs by such a wide margin? Ford alone sells almost 1 million F150s. EVs account for only 2% of vehicle sales. If a majority of vehicle buyers are so concerned about tailpipe emissions, why are they buying fossil fuel powered vehicles?
The metals used to produce the 1000 lb batteries for EVs are mined in only a few countries using methods that are far from environmentally friendly. Mercedes Benz has estimated that manufacture of an EV emits more C02 than manufacture of a conventional vehicle. Battery production alone produces 74% more Carbon Dioxide than production of a conventional fossil fueled vehicle. Most electricity to charge EV batteries is produced in fossil fueled generating stations. The additional weight of an EV rolling down the road results in more airborne particulate matter emitted from the wear of tires and brake pads than what is normally produced from a conventional vehicle. The massive amount of land area required to produce a majority of our power needs from solar makes it impractical now and for the foreseeable future. There are higher priorities competing for the limited land resources we have. Wind power??? We would need more than a million windmills whirling away to supply our power. And then there's the matter of storing that power whether it's from solar or wind. Today's vehicles powered by internal combustion engines spew out less than 10% of the pollutants they did only a few years ago. Oh, but climate change ..climate change. One question on that climate change scare tactic - who warmed the planet after the last ice age?

It may be worth pointing out also that many people are against change and innovation, many love their beef up trucks and turn their eyes the other way when they hear EV. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but I really like when those against EVs have a test drive just for fun and their surprise is their face is to tell them “I told you so” 😎

The disruption to all the same and innovation seeing in Elon Musk has to be given credit, remember PayPal? That was just the initial disruption on how we do things, landing a rocket back to earth saving millions, the list goes on and time will tell but those reluctant to adapt to change may be left behind. Like a friend said, if you want to keep using that flip phone it’s fine, nothing wrong but you’re most likely losing benefits of today’s world’s technology.
Who doesn’t like using FaceTime to someone across the globe?

Yes, we can all run out and buy an EV and wind up polluting the environment more than if we had bought an 8 cylinder muscle car. 😁

Exactly.
This is why I mentioned that may part of the FUDs out there always going against Tesla (I do not own Tesla stock BTW).
Not a single person here in CT that I know from a group has ever seriously considered going back to gas cars, there could be an exception here and there but the vast majority not even blinked once they got to drive their EV.
Just because people like their EVs does not necessarily mean it's a wise choice. I can think of a lot of products that many people loved that are now in the dust bin of history.

Let's not forget the lessons learned just last winter in Texas. They have been moving to renewable energy (~20% of the grid from what I read), and ran into issues with the winter storm that knocked out their power grid. Evidently solar panels don't work under snow and the wind turbines froze up. Which over loaded the remaining power generation infrastructure. As usual, humans rush forward without exercising adequate imagination to foresee possible consequences. We are quick to shut down legacy power plants, without ensuring an adequate, reliable, power supply. Ok, I'll get off the soap box, Anyway, I need to go out and bush hog more of those invasive shrubs that someone thought was a good idea to use to recover strip mined areas.

The ICE is not going anywhere soon despite what surveys may seem to show. I saw one "green" survey done by Consumer Reports that said that something like 67% of the people buying a new vehicle consider tailpipe emissions as a top consideration when choosing a vehicle. If that's true, why are gas and diesel powered vehicles outselling EVs by such a wide margin? Ford alone sells almost 1 million F150s. EVs account for only 2% of vehicle sales. If a majority of vehicle buyers are so concerned about tailpipe emissions, why are they buying fossil fuel powered vehicles?
The metals used to produce the 1000 lb batteries for EVs are mined in only a few countries using methods that are far from environmentally friendly. Mercedes Benz has estimated that manufacture of an EV emits more C02 than manufacture of a conventional vehicle. Battery production alone produces 74% more Carbon Dioxide than production of a conventional fossil fueled vehicle. Most electricity to charge EV batteries is produced in fossil fueled generating stations. The additional weight of an EV rolling down the road results in more airborne particulate matter emitted from the wear of tires and brake pads than what is normally produced from a conventional vehicle. The massive amount of land area required to produce a majority of our power needs from solar makes it impractical now and for the foreseeable future. There are higher priorities competing for the limited land resources we have. Wind power??? We would need more than a million windmills whirling away to supply our power. And then there's the matter of storing that power whether it's from solar or wind. Today's vehicles powered by internal combustion engines spew out less than 10% of the pollutants they did only a few years ago. Oh, but climate change ..climate change. One question on that climate change scare tactic - who warmed the planet after the last ice age?

I think it had something to do with animal flatulence :i

I do not. And I don't love Ford. I do own 3 Honda's though........

I love Honda as well, had a few for the last many years, rock solid cars mostly.

I know Ford pickups are probably the most sold pickup vehicle, no doubt about it and am really hoping they succeed in their EV venture. I just think every manufacturer has been late to get into the game, maybe because they don't think that is the future or whatever.

The ugly Tesla CyberTruck has over 1MM reservations, just to give you some context, the Ford...I will check but trailing far behind I think.

Let's not forget the lessons learned just last winter in Texas. They have been moving to renewable energy (~20% of the grid from what I read), and ran into issues with the winter storm that knocked out their power grid. Evidently solar panels don't work under snow and the wind turbines froze up. Which over loaded the remaining power generation infrastructure. As usual, humans rush forward without exercising adequate imagination to foresee possible consequences. We are quick to shut down legacy power plants, without ensuring an adequate, reliable, power supply. Ok, I'll get off the soap box, Anyway, I need to go out and bush hog more of those invasive shrubs that someone thought was a good idea to use to recover strip mined areas.

Loss of wind turbines was not the main cause of the Texas fiasco: (No, frozen wind turbines aren’t the main culprit for Texas’ power outages )

While Webber said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis, the natural gas industry is most notably producing significantly less power than normal.

“Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,” Webber said.

Dan Woodfin, a senior director at ERCOT, echoed that sentiment Tuesday.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” he said during a Tuesday call with reporters.

Also, note that any problems with turbines in TX is not inherent to turbines. There are windfarms all across the Great Plains in much colder conditions than what TX experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back