1.3 to 2.5 Gallon Vessel for Vacuum Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

Reaction score
I've been looking for an inexpensive 1.3 to 2.5 gallon carboy/jug/bottle to use for vacuum degassing and additives with the All In One pump. The only thing close I've been able to find is the Little Big Mouth Bubbler® (northernbrewer.com) . Has anyone used this with the AIO? I think it might work but I'm a little skeptical about the lid being able to hold up. The price is certainly right! Also, any alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I don't have direct knowledge, but I think you are wise to be skeptical of the lid. Back of the envelope, that lid would be subjected to ~600-800 lbs under vacuum.

Well howdy again Rick
* first of all “static” degassing can be done with a five inch Hg vacuum, it will be time dependent which basically means if I pull 25 inches on a FULL glass carboy in the photo below the pump just hums waiting for turbulence to bring more gas out, ,,,, it really won’t degas faster than the safer five inch vacuum. Expect it to take about twelve hours to reach the low CO2 equilibrium.
My feel is that you can’t do reliable vacuum without a vacuum gague and considering Home Depot will get one to their service desk for $12, ,,, it is cheaper than a busted carboy and the set up below has one for the pump and a two hole check valve & gauge setup on the carboy. This morning it is at about 5.8 inches Hg after being “stabilized” three weeks ago.
86AD2322-C47F-4AFF-84F2-77BB670C4150.jpeg
* degassing follows Henry’s law, that is the soluble gas is proportional to the partial pressure in the 125ml of head space. The functional definition of a degassed wine is that it will maintain five inches Hg of vacuum for half an hour. ie it doesn’t matter if it is squeaky clean, what matters is if you vacuum cork or vacuum transfer you don’t create a foam that sucks into the pump. To control the vacuum I am collecting parts for an on off timer to cycle the pump rather than letting it humm, ,,, (got a spare octal socket handy/ I have the timer on the work bench)
* there are a variety of food grade containers on the market and if you look enough you will find several choices in the two gallon range. The glass on the left was sold as a “pickle jar” by Wallyworld, it holds two gallons. The cover on it is a 120mm food grade silicone “bowl cover”. The container on the right is my plastic vacuum chamber which consists of a flexible 1/4 inch plastic round with a neoprene round for a gasket and a brass 1/8 NPT fitting tapped through. When I build the next one it will have a food grade silicone “baking sheet” instead of neoprene. Yes it flexes inward, look for “Lexan “ which will flex.
DF6D566C-D789-4BE0-98DB-67E71D41C82D.jpeg
If you want more details PM me.

AGAIN DO NOT OVERDO THE VACUUM WHEN DEGASSING! If you want to pull over ten inches pulse your AIO pump for one or two hours till the foaming stops, ,,,, and hope the container survives the vacuum load.

Last edited:
I've been looking for an inexpensive 1.3 to 2.5 gallon carboy/jug/bottle to use for vacuum degassing and additives with the All In One pump. The only thing close I've been able to find is the Little Big Mouth Bubbler® (northernbrewer.com) . Has anyone used this with the AIO? I think it might work but I'm a little skeptical about the lid being able to hold up. The price is certainly right! Also, any alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I have 2 of these and they are perfect for 1 gallon fermenters. I have not used them as a receiver for the AIO for just that reason. Lids are flimsy. I do have several 1 gallon Gallo jugs that I use for receivers for 1 gallon batches. A 2 gallon would be nice.

running a pilot plant requires one to improvise at a one kilo scale what the plant does at two tons per hour, ,,,, every tool had someone saying how could I do xxx, ,,,,, and I admire what the shop could come up with from a tablet drawing
i use lots of 3 cm long pieces of silicone as unions, it is easier than pulling out stainless fittings, ,,,, poly tubing can be shaped with a Bunsen burner or propane torch
That is THE setup I want! I've got everything but the vessel/Lid...and now maybe a bulkhead fitting or two. I really like the quick connect fittings! Your brain is so ripe for picking.

@RickD - Why not use a 3 gallon carboy ? They are very reasonable and easy to find.

I'm trying to avoid 3+ gallon vessels due to space and the temptation to jump into bigger batches. I'm already getting stink eye from the wife after having exceeded the allocated space.
Also, where I am, they are actually no easier to find (within 100 miles RT) than any other size.

I'm already getting stink eye from the wife after having exceeded the allocated space.
I hear you, and feel your pain! Gotta envy these people here with spouses that enjoy the "fruits" of their labor. They can get away with a lot. LOL. Gotta find something my honey enjoys. I have plans for my first real country wine this year. My niece has frozen 50 lbs of her home-grown plums for me. Maybe the love-of-my-life will like plum wine. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back