“We are moving Alabama with the times," gov says after signing wine delivery bill... :D

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't worry about politicians and their silly rules - I make all of my own mine and beer. Just so we don't get some dimwit into office who wants to find a way to tax that.

They sales tax your ingredients. :p

I have heard that long ago, the only town in Alabama that you could get draft beer was Huntsville. The reason was because of the German poulation there. Remember, that is where so many Germans were brought there after WWII due to the space industry growing there. I can't imagine it being that many German scientist but they had an influence. I worked in Huntsville a good bit in the late 60's, early 70's and enjoyed draft beer then and no where else in Bama.

That's true. Huntsville was also a major market for Mr. Jack Daniel to carry the reverend's whiskey to sell, when he was apprenticing, and also his own later on. It was considered a lawless, rough and risky area back then. But Mr. Jack was selling booze there at about age 14, and delivering in a horse-drawn wagon.

um, now mind you,, i only heard this, COUGH, GRUNT, COUGH,,, their was not much need in bamy fur much draft beer, due to the excellent quality of their shine, their weed, and of course their wines, COUGH, or so i heard of a legend like that decades ago,,, :i
Dawg

The best moonshine I ever had was from North Carolina. My gosh, it was good. Pure and clear. No flavor at all and went right down, until it hit bottom Then, I felt it spreading out. Most of what I have had in Alabama has been made into apple pie, which right off starts me wondering why.

I've never made the stuff but have never passed the chance to drink from a jar if one's around.

BTW, there's all kinds of stuff in liquor stores calling itself moonshine of one form or another. But it ain't moonshine if the tax is on it! :)

They sales tax your ingredients. :p
I use fruit from the wild and from my garden and the sugar is tax exempt in Minnesota. I use bottles given to me by friends and neighbors. They do tax me on the corks, caps, yeast so I guess I pay a cent or two per case of wine.
They do nick me for the full tax on beer kits though.

Speaking as a recent immigrant from the UK, so many in this country seem to love to control others while trying to convince everyone that this is the land of the free. Prohibition was a proven success. No wait. It wasn't was it? The war on drugs was a proven success. Wait. No, that wasn't either. Laws banning same sex marriage. Now that was a success. Wait. That wasn't either was it? OK. Laws banning miscegenation. They were unquestionably successful. They weren't either? Sheesh. Gotta say that only the certifiably insane keep on repeating the same actions with the phantastic hope that they produce different results. Just saying as I sees it...

Last edited:
The best moonshine I ever had was from North Carolina. My gosh, it was good. Pure and clear. No flavor at all and went right down, until it hit bottom Then, I felt it spreading out. Most of what I have had in Alabama has been made into apple pie, which right off starts me wondering why.

I've never made the stuff but have never passed the chance to drink from a jar if one's around.

BTW, there's all kinds of stuff in liquor stores calling itself moonshine of one form or another. But it ain't moonshine if the tax is on it! :)
i've drunk delivered, and ect, them boys in the bootheel made mighty fine, as did west va,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back