Üllo sulphite wine filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a two separate nights of enjoying a freshly bottled Rosè batch (3/4 bottle worth that was decanted, and one actual uncorked bottle) there has also been 2 cases of severe headache the next day. By my wife, not by me. Maybe this is inaccurate, but to me it seems like women are more sensitive to sulphites than men.
I googled afterwards and found this Üllo sulphite filter. I watched a couple video reviews and all claim it as legit. It's not cheap and needs filters replaced often, but seems worth it. Anyone own this little invention which also has an aerate option?
http://m.wineenthusiast.com/ullo-wine-purifier.asp

IMG_5914.JPG

She's laughing at you right now Paul. "Who eats that many raisins or dried fruit in one sitting? " she says.
It's ok, we found the cure. Carluccis restaurant had half price bottles of wine tonight. (EXCEPT THE AMARONE! Grrrr). So we Über'd and did a bottle at dinner and another half bottle before we left. A Sangiovese and Malbec. Headache gone! I'll have to update that wiki page for the cure.

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

The cure was more wine? :). I found that tannin powder gave me a headache when I made a batch of Skeeter pee.

Temporary cure. Felt no pain last night - today though? I'm sure I'll be getting a phone call soon about how bad she's hurtin.
This Üllo filter looked very cool and I'm a sucker for gadgets. My oldest brother and wife get "sulphite headaches". Iv been saying it's all mental- mind over matter type thing but back off when they're couch-ridden. How do you know your headaches were specifically from tannin powder?
I'm going to bring home a big hoagie with a bag of dried apricots and attempt to rule out this sulphite theory

Last edited:
From my limited reading (and I stress 'limited'), the 'wine headaches' are more likely caused by a sensitivity to tannin. Many people affected often find they get headaches with reds, but not whites.

From my limited reading (and I stress 'limited'), the 'wine headaches' are more likely caused by a sensitivity to tannin. Many people affected often find they get headaches with reds, but not whites.

Yep, that's what I just read as well. But some video reviews for this Üllo filter are pretty convincing. Plus I just think it's a pretty neat little tool.
In talking with many casual wine drinkers this "sulphites give me headaches" idea is basically had across the board. They are ALL scared of sulphites.

I'm just the messenger:

Recent research has found that food and drinks that have been aged, such as dry aged meats and red wines, can cause our body to release histamines and create these allergy-type symptoms. To prevent a histamine headache, simply take a histamine blocker such as Claritin prior to having a glass of red wine.
https://vinepair.com/wine-101/wine-and-headaches/

Yep, that's what I just read as well. But some video reviews for this Üllo filter are pretty convincing. Plus I just think it's a pretty neat little tool.
In talking with many casual wine drinkers this "sulphites give me headaches" idea is basically had across the board. They are ALL scared of sulphites.

Seriously, host a gathering with nothing but white wines. See if anyone gets a headache.

Latest posts

Back