»Juicer« Pros and Cons..???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdriver

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons using a juicer to make Wine Must..?

Anybody ever tried this before..??

I'm willing to spend money on a quality grade juicer if it'll work.. THX..

what kind of juicer? grinder/centrifuge or steamer?
I've used my grinder/centrifuge juicer on kiwis and apples(peeled and cored) and they wine came out great.
some of the cons to using a juicer like mine is dealing with the skins/seeds which can give some "off" flavors

i go with Dhort, you ferment the juice, not the rest, some seeds can be bad, not just on off flavors, but some seeds, etc. can be really bad. Save your money for a juicer and invest in other supplies.. I think it is Tom who loves the steam juicer. i haven't used a juicer, so my comment ranks low, but from what I hear, there is nothing like stomping it with your feet. I hope some of the others will chime in a toss their opinion your way.

Thats my take, I never said I was right.

Troy

How do you think a squeezo strainer would work for apple must? as long as you use a fine sparging bage that is.

I also have access to a grinder/ciderpress.

Last edited:
I have a centrifuge juicer for apples/pears .. making cider and wine.

I don't think much of it for any other fruit though.

...have never usd a steam juicer, they are a pricey investment though.

Allie

Thx..

The juicer I'd like to get is the "Breville 800 jexl".. Reviews say its a really nice..

You put the fruit in and it will separate the juice leaving the pulp behind..

Fermenting just the concentrate from the juicer I make should be fine.. Right..?

Do I really need the pulp..? If so why..?

I have the breville 'juice fountain' the chute is large enough to take medium size apples whole.

It's a good sturdy machine with two speeds for soft or hard fruit and a good size motor on it.. Separates the pulp and the juice out. I just ferment the juice and chuck the pulp, makes it clear quicker and bypasses the seeds.

Allie

How do you think a squeezo strainer would work for apple must? as long as you use a fine sparging bage that is.

I also have access to a grinder/ciderpress.

I would not use. I would be concerned about splitting the seeds.
Core the fruit and put in a straining bag. Let the pectic enzyme do the work. This is a tried and true way to make fruit wine.
Some of us upgrade from that and use a steamer juicer. It has alot of pros vs cons.

I have the breville 'juice fountain' the chute is large enough to take medium size apples whole.

It's a good sturdy machine with two speeds for soft or hard fruit and a good size motor on it.. Separates the pulp and the juice out. I just ferment the juice and chuck the pulp, makes it clear quicker and bypasses the seeds.

Allie

Thank you Allie..

That's the same juicer I wanna get.. The Elite model comes in stainless that will match great in our kitchen.. Sells for around US $249-$299..

I wanted a good juicer for our family anyway and figured why not try making wine with it too.

Sounds like seeds are a big deal... Maybe when I go to make a Apple wine or any with seeds, I can first remove seeds then juice.. More work but maybe good idea..

Thx again..

Did I goof up ??

I have about 10 Gallons of apple and 5 gallons of pear juice in my freezer that I juiced in my juicer this fall with the intention of making wine out of them. I put whole fruit in ( seeds and skin). I know the juicer rips through the fruit and I know it cuts up some of the seeds, but that is discarded with the pulp.

:a1 Can I still make wine out of it ???

I have about 10 Gallons of apple and 5 gallons of pear juice in my freezer that I juiced in my juicer this fall with the intention of making wine out of them. I put whole fruit in ( seeds and skin). I know the juicer rips through the fruit and I know it cuts up some of the seeds, but that is discarded with the pulp.

:a1 Can I still make wine out of it ???

I don't see why not.. There's a lot of people say don't cause any little tiny seed particals that may of past threw could give bad flavors..

Just to be on the safe side I'm going to remove any seeds/stems and then run it threw the juicer..

Then if I want, I can add the pulp in with the juice and ferment away..

Thank you Allie..

That's the same juicer I wanna get.. The Elite model comes in stainless that will match great in our kitchen.. Sells for around US $249-$299..

I wanted a good juicer for our family anyway and figured why not try making wine with it too.

Sounds like seeds are a big deal... Maybe when I go to make a Apple wine or any with seeds, I can first remove seeds then juice.. More work but maybe good idea..

Thx again..

You're welcome.

I have the stainless steel one.. bought it second hand for $60.. the people that sold it probably used it twice and then it sat on their shelf doing nothing.

If I put apples throught the food processor, I core them first. The juicer is a lot faster though.

Allie

You're welcome.

I have the stainless steel one.. bought it second hand for $60.. the people that sold it probably used it twice and then it sat on their shelf doing nothing.

If I put apples throught the food processor, I core them first. The juicer is a lot faster though.

Allie

Thank you agian Allie..

I'll be picking me up one Friday after Thxgiving and hoping to get a deal on it.. So far I can 20% off..Cool..!!!

Sounds like you got a killer deal on yours.. Sweet..!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
We don't have thanksgiving in NZ..

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your holiday there.

Allie

I bought a new steam juicer this year and have processed plumbs, apples, pears and blueberrys. I love the thing.

I bought a new steam juicer this year and have processed plumbs, apples, pears and blueberrys. I love the thing.

Bruno,

What kind of steam juicer do you have..?

Who makes it..?

Any info. would be great..!!!

Allie.. Sorry, I didnt read ur profile or pay any attention

Latest posts

Back