»Juicer« Pros and Cons..???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Back-To-Basics Nutri Steamer. It was sold by a member of one of these wine making forums that runs a wine making supply business, but now I can't remember their name. They were offering a special price of around $130. Funny thing, when I received my steamer, a weld on one of the handles was broken. I called the company and they promptly sent out a replacement, no questions asked. As I said, I highly recommend these steam juicers.

Thats the Stainless one. This is the one I have and love it. Comes in handy doing fruit.
Have you used it for anything else?

nope, just the juices I mentioned earlier. They are all aging in carboys now. The juice really comes out clear when the steamer is used.

nope, just the juices I mentioned earlier. They are all aging in carboys now. The juice really comes out clear when the steamer is used.

Are there any cons. using a steam juicer..?

Do you process your fruit before adding to the steamer..?

Do you still ferment with the pulp (for more color) or just the juice..?

What is the Name Brand and Model number of this steamer..?

I'm going to do my homework on these steamers before I by a reg. juicer. Seems like the steamers are way cheaper then the reg. juicers..

Ok this is what I found for $59 w/free shipping.. Is this the one you guys have the Back to Basics Aluminum Steam Juicer - A12...?

Most steamers I seen are $200 and under then jumps up to $899... The Breville Elite 800 jexl (reg. juicer) I want is $299 w/20% off and free shipping..

I'm just trying to see why the steamers are so much better other then it being more sterile cause of the steam...

Last edited:
Are there any cons. using a steam juicer..?

Do you process your fruit before adding to the steamer..?

Do you still ferment with the pulp (for more color) or just the juice..?

What is the Name Brand and Model number of this steamer..?

I'm going to do my homework on these steamers before I by a reg. juicer. Seems like the steamers are way cheaper then the reg. juicers..

Ok this is what I found for $59 w/free shipping.. Is this the one you guys have the Back to Basics Aluminum Steam Juicer - A12...?

Most steamers I seen are $200 and under then jumps up to $899... The Breville Elite 800 jexl (reg. juicer) I want is $299 w/20% off and free shipping..

I'm just trying to see why the steamers are so much better other then it being more sterile cause of the steam...

I use Back to Basics stainless model . Its around 120-140

cons = Price

I core and freeze and add frozen fruit to the steamer

no need to add the pulp

PRO"S once steamed you can add the juice to a "ball" jar and use when you have time or empty carboys. Pros== I use 2 quarts and simmer to one quart for a f-pac.

Last edited:
I use Back to Basics stainless model . Its around 120-140

cons = Price

I core and freeze and add frozen fruit to the steamer

no need to add the pulp

PRO"S once steamed you can add the juice to a "ball" jar and use when you have time or empty carboys. Pros== I use 2 quarts and simmer to one quart for a f-pac.

When you say f-pack are you refering to a kit wine or something you will use for topping off..?

When you boil 2 quarts of your concentrate down to 1 quart, what does that do..? Does it make a super thick concentrate or does it make for a awesome sterilzed juice..

Basics Aluminum Steam Juicer - A12...? I found this one for $59 w/free shipping.. Is this the one you have..?

Last edited:
f-pac = FLAVOR pac. Used in making fruit wines

Simmering 2 qts will increase the FLAVOR by boiling off water
N-12 is the stainless this is what I have..
http://www.harvestessentials.com/batobanustju.html

Thanks Tom..

I checked out that steamer and it looks like (from what I've read) that it would last for years..

It's also way more then half the price... How cool is that..!!!

My wife will love to here about this cause she doesn't see why I have to spend about $300 on a juicer..

Thx agian...

What ever you do do NOT get aluminum if you plan on doing fruit. It will pit from the acid in fruit.
Stainless is the way to go.
Good luck. There are a few here who use the steamer juicer.

Question: how do you know when all the juice is extracted from the fruit using a steam juicer..?

Example: Say your steaming white grapes.. How would you know when its done extrating..?

Last edited:
Xdriver, regarding times to steam, I use the guide that came with my steamer. The "softer" fruits take 60 mins, the harder fruits can take 90 mins. Here's the list:

60 mins: apricots, blackberries, cherries, currants, elderberries, grapes, peaches, plums, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes

70 mins: cranberries, rhubarb

80 mins: gooeberries, pears, prunes

90 mins: apples, crabapples

Xdriver, regarding times to steam, I use the guide that came with my steamer. The "softer" fruits take 60 mins, the harder fruits can take 90 mins. Here's the list:

60 mins: apricots, blackberries, cherries, currants, elderberries, grapes, peaches, plums, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes

70 mins: cranberries, rhubarb

80 mins: gooeberries, pears, prunes

90 mins: apples, crabapples

Thank you for your help Bruno...

It sure takes a long time to get the juices out..

I have the opportunity to get some blackberry juice from a friend. He told me they ran the berries through their juicer attachment on their Kitchen Aide appliance. Is anyone familiar with this attachment? Does it separate the seeds from the pulp or does it damage the seeds and harm the future wine because of the seeds? If anyone has a prior experience with this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Russ

Thank you for your help Bruno...

It sure takes a long time to get the juices out..

+1 for the steam juicer! I recently bought a 9.5-qt stainless model, works great. In fact, I bought another 14-15 lbs of peaches today and will be steaming them down tonight.

The steam-juicing process is not quick -- but you don't have to stand there and watch over it constantly (main thing is don't let it boil dry!), so you can do other things while it works.

Back