Delayed Start Issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
I'm making my first Zinfandel red from grapes and had an issue getting started. I sulfited the must at the vineyard after crushing, adjusted SO2 and acid and had planned on starting fermentation the following day.

I rechecked things the following morning and found my pH off the charts. It was Sunday and I elected to wait until the following day to confirm my reading with another test kit before proceeding. By late Monday I discovered the original test kit was bogus and things were okay. Unfortunately by this time the must had begin fermenting on it's on.

I went ahead and pitched the yeast but I'm really bummed out about fermentation starting with "wild" yeast.

Should I pour this out or does it have a chance? As a beer brewer, I'd pour it out but I haven't any experience with wine so how should I proceed?

Thanks....:(

How many gallons are you making? And how much sulfite did you add?

I am not 100% sure so you might want to wait for some more experienced folks to chime in - but i would think that when fermentation is done - sulfite it again - and you might be able to salvage it.

Again - wait and see what some other folks have to say.

Welcome aboard!!

I believe you should be ok. From reading here on the net, others have said the packaged yeast will overpower the natural yeast and you should have a good fermentation. Take this for what it is worth, I have not tried it but believe it is what others have said.

I believe you should be ok. From reading here on the net, others have said the packaged yeast will overpower the natural yeast and you should have a good fermentation. Take this for what it is worth, I have not tried it but believe it is what others have said.

I agree. I would definitely not dump this out. I've had a few wild yeast prematurely start fermentation in fresh grape musts and never had a problem. The cultured yeasts should thrive over the wild yeasts. I would still recomend making a good starter before pitching your yeast.

Never dump it out unless you at least give it about 8 onths to see if this could be your best ever. Usually the stronger yeast will take over so most likely the wine yeast will take. But even if it doesnt that doesnt mean your wine is ruined. many people have made great wine with natural yeast. It isnt as predictable and you usually cant make the same wine next year that will even come close to it if you do like this years but thats Mother Nature for you. Give it a chance please. Forget those ph strips and get yourself a Good digital ph tester.

"I went ahead and pitched the yeast but I'm really bummed out about fermentation starting with "wild" yeast."

i know i am odd man out on this debate...but every cultured yeast sold today was at one time a 'wild' yeast

the very best zin, sangio, grenache, barbera, and cab i ever made were done so w wild yeast

my Classico red table wine...my Tutto di Rossi..all four of the whites i released this year were done on naturally occuring yeast

if you want control...then use a cultured yeast...but if you have risk in you and want adventure...try the natural method from time to time

Al, I never knew you played the Roulette wheel!!!!! Well I have had Al's wine and can tell you he makes an awesome wine but me myself am reluctant to play that game, to each his own ang good luck and fermentations to your choice.

i do play the wheel....then i throw everything in the vineyard....assuming that some day i will have something steady and unique

AlFulchino;71608 the very best zin said:
Thanks for the input guys.

Al, you've given me hope that my "Frankenzin" has a chance. I'll play it out and see where it goes.

Latest posts

Back