WineXpert Favorite Southern Rhone blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am lining up next kits, and I am interested in making a Southern Rhone-style blend. There are a fair number of kits, but scant info on them. I was aiming for a GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) blend. Could you share with me what Southern Rhone-type kits you have enjoyed? Comparisons especially appreciated!

So far, I have found these 6 kits as candidates (with a statement of what varietals are reported):

1. Winexpert Vieux Château du Roi (Selection) "A host of grape varieties"
  2. Winexpert Vieux Château du Roi (Vintner's Reserve) No info on varietals
  3. Winexpert Australian Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre (Selection) GSM (d'oh)
  4. Winexpert Australian Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre with grape skins (World Vineyard) GSM (d'oh)
  5. Cellar Craft Chateau du Pays (Showcase) No info on varietals
  6. Cellar Craft Grenache Syrah Mourvedre (Sterling) GSM (d'oh)
  7. RJ Spagnols Vieux Château du Roi (Grand Cru ~$80) "A complex blend of varietals"
  8. RJ Spagnols Vieux Château du Roi (Cellar Classic ~$110) No info on varietals

Thanks!

(Edited to add CC Sterling GSM, which roger alerted me to downthread, and to add RJS Cellar Classic.)

Last edited:
Paul,

Do you have a favorite commercial example of what you are hoping to replicate, hopefully under $20 so a serf like me can enjoy an example.

Thanks,

I am lining up next kits, and I am interested in making a Southern Rhone-style blend. There are a fair number of kits, but scant info on them. I was aiming for a GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) blend. Could you share with me what Southern Rhone-type kits you have enjoyed? Comparisons especially appreciated!

So far, I have found these 6 kits as candidates (with a statement of what varietals are reported):

4. Winexpert Australian Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre with grape skins (World Vineyard) GSM (d'oh)
  6. RJ Spagnols Vieux Château du Roi (Grand Cru ~$80) "A complex blend of varietals"

Thanks!

I am a big fan of the World Vineyard Australian GSM. One of my favorite light to medium bodied wines. Haven't found a VCDR that I like. Have tried and enjoyed the Chateau Du Pays.

Thanks for asking this Paul, I'm looking at either a gsm or a petite Verdot next time around...I'm looking forward to reading everyone's comments

I'm looking to do the Chateau du Pays soon - maybe for my next kit.

6. Cellar Craft Grenache Syrah Mourvedre (Sterling) GSM (d'oh)
  7. RJ Spagnols Vieux Château du Roi (Grand Cru ~$80) "A complex blend of varietals"

Thanks!

(Edited to add CC Sterling GSM, which roger alerted me to downthread.)

Hey, I just found that RJS has a Vieux Château du Roi in their Cellar Classic line, which is one of their "Super Premium 5-week kits" with 15 liters. It is listed at Presque Isle for $110.

Sour,
I did Mourvèdre this year and so far the wine is excellent, but it netted way more wine than planned. So much so that I'm going to save 30 gallons for a GSM blend next season. I plan on doing a 60 gallon barrel of Syrah and a 28 gallon of Grenache all from grapes within 5 miles from my house.

I was thinking how I could get you California's finest at a great price. I can get you excellent Central Valley CA grapes for <$1 lb. My thought was freezing a flat rate box of must 12x12x8, which is 5 gallons worth. So $40 of grapes, $16 2 day shipping yields 19 liters if must. Send me a pm if you are interested in exploring further this upcoming season.

Latest posts

Back