Cellar Craft First Tweak? Thinking of changing yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to start what is only my 4th kit, namely, a CC Showcase Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel kit with grape skins. It came, of course, with EC1118. Zin is my favorite varietal, and I enjoy a fruit-forward style, I enjoy pepper, I enjoy jammy. (Hell, what DON'T I enjoy? :) )

I am thinking of trying my first tweak, namely, swapping out the EC1118 for something else. Partly due to easy availability at my LHBS, I am thinking of using Lalvin RC-212. Alternatives, based on varietal recommendations from Lallemand (http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar/zinfandel.php) and MoreWine! (http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf) include BM45 and BM4x4, and SYR. In any event, all of these appear to be sensitive to nutrients.

I am a little scared of yeast nutrients. I have been reading threads here (such as this one: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f86/yeast-nutrients-39655/) as well as recommendations from manufacturers and vendors.

It appears that Fermaid and Go-Ferm are the most-discussed products here. At my LHBS, I can easily get my hands on Nutriferm Advance and Nutriferm Energy. I will have to search harder on WMT to see if I can find forum info on Nutriferm products, but I haven't come across anything on them here yet.

Am I making too big a deal of this? Part of me says, just use RC-212 and the Nutriferm products, and it'll be fine. Part of me is sufficiently daunted to just want to use EC-1118.

Soooo, I suppose the questions are: Any input on yeast choices? Any experience with Nutriferm products to point me to? Any advice on how hard RC212 or other strains are to provide proper nutrition to?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, Welcome to WMT. I believe that if you change the yeast it will void your warranty on the kit. Bakervinyard

I would use BM45 along with Go-Germ and Fermaid- K. Not familiar with Nutriferm but I would assume your supply store should be able to supply instructions and comparison to Go-Ferm and Fermaid-K

Well, just popping in to report. I did decide to go with the RC-212 yeast, and with the Nutriferm nutrients. So far, so good. I pitched the (rehydrated) yeast on 10/2, with some Nutriferm Energy. Started bubbling only about 12 hours later, which is the fastest I have encountered so far. Today, I am about 1/2-way through the sugar, so I added Nutriferm Advance. No off odors prior to adding.

I am somewhat relieved, and will be more so in a few days.

Well, just popping in to report. I did decide to go with the RC-212 yeast, and with the Nutriferm nutrients. So far, so good. I pitched the (rehydrated) yeast on 10/2, with some Nutriferm Energy. Started bubbling only about 12 hours later, which is the fastest I have encountered so far. Today, I am about 1/2-way through the sugar, so I added Nutriferm Advance. No off odors prior to adding.

I am somewhat relieved, and will be more so in a few days.

I think you're going to be okay at this point. You'll know whether the yeast are having issues or not. Your wine should turn out great with enough time.

Still coming down nicely. SG is 1.001 tonight, and still moderate bubbling going on. Smells great.

It tastes fantastic! I had a hard time keeping from swilling the wine in the test cylinder!

I'm resurrecting this old thread because this zin is on my Phase 2 list. @sour_grapes, how did this turn out with your yeast swap? Was it fruity, jammy, and peppery?

Latest posts

Back