DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you follow the recipe exactly as written on the original recipe? Also I see the recipe is vague on whether it is 5 gal or 6 gal, which did you go with? I'm gonna get all the stuff and throw it together tomorroe

It's 6 gallons, and I more or less followed instructions on the original DB recipe.

And of course, you can sub out or skip any of the spices/herbs, etc.
I know licorice root isn't always easy to find, I just used stuff I had around the house that I needed to get rid of.

I'm not really a "spice" girl so I'm going to be buying what I use so I wanted to get the ones that would be the best for the recipe.

Then I would go with ceylon cinnamon if you can find it, star anise, cloves, and the vanilla bean.

Actually, hold on and let me go and get my wine log....I'm not seeing a couple of things in that recipe.

eta: My first Christmas batch I made as above. That was for Christmas 2013.
I made a few changes for this batch, mainly I wanted more fruit and then just used the spices/herbs I had on hand.

Ok, here is what I have written in my brew log for a 10 gallon batch (that actually ended up being 12 gallons).

* 3 bags of the 5 lb mixed frozen fruit (peaches, cantaloupe, strawberry, pineapple)
* 2 lbs cranberry (heat til bursting, then cool and add to must)
* 5 lbs strawberry
* 2 lbs figs
* 1 lb currants
* 4 lbs blueberries
* 3 lbs raspberry
* 2 cups of dried hibiscus flowers
* 1.25 oz dried elderberries
* 1 40 oz container of lemon juice
* 2 cans white grape concentrate
* 2 T tannin
* 8 tsp nutrient
* 4 tsp energizer
* 6 tsp pectic enzyme

I basically decided to clean out my freezer and use all the fruit in it for this one batch. Obviously, this much fruit is not needed and I think this more followed a freezer clean out wine than a true Dragon's Blood.

For spices I added 3 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 vanilla pod in primary.

I do like this one better than the Christmas DB from 2013, but they were both delicious and definitely drinkable in 2 months time.

Last edited:
Jericurl, thanks for all the help, I decided to go with the original but add the cranberries, star anise and cinnamon from your recipe, I can't find vanilla beans but I'm still looking. I'll try some specialty grocery stores!

Wow! I just started Jericurl's Christmas wine and I'm simmering the figs, cranberries and raisins with the spices and my house smells amazing! It's like Christmas has started early in my house!

Actually, hold on and let me go and get my wine log....I'm not seeing a couple of things in that recipe.

eta: My first Christmas batch I made as above. That was for Christmas 2013.
I made a few changes for this batch, mainly I wanted more fruit and then just used the spices/herbs I had on hand.

Ok, here is what I have written in my brew log for a 10 gallon batch (that actually ended up being 12 gallons).

* 3 bags of the 5 lb mixed frozen fruit (peaches, cantaloupe, strawberry, pineapple)
* 2 lbs cranberry (heat til bursting, then cool and add to must)
* 5 lbs strawberry
* 2 lbs figs
* 1 lb currants
* 4 lbs blueberries
* 3 lbs raspberry
* 2 cups of dried hibiscus flowers
* 1.25 oz dried elderberries
* 1 40 oz container of lemon juice
* 2 cans white grape concentrate
* 2 T tannin
* 8 tsp nutrient
* 4 tsp energizer
* 6 tsp pectic enzyme

I basically decided to clean out my freezer and use all the fruit in it for this one batch. Obviously, this much fruit is not needed and I think this more followed a freezer clean out wine than a true Dragon's Blood.

For spices I added 3 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 vanilla pod in primary.

I do like this one better than the Christmas DB from 2013, but they were both delicious and definitely drinkable in 2 months time.

haha
What? Did you round up all the neighbors fruit too?

I may have to give this one, or a variation of your variation, a go. I have some odds and ends fruit in the freezer.
I will say, I REALLY like the 2013 version. The smell of it in the glass in incredible, with the anise, clove, etc. Probably my favorite DB version yet.

haha
What? Did you round up all the neighbors fruit too?

I know, right?!
I think Manthing was fussing at me about all the fruit in the deep freeze.

I remember wanting to do Dragon's Blood and also wanting to do Ben Hardy's Christmas Tutti Frutti wine. So this is what I ended up doing.

I agree, that 2013 version smells amazing.
I'm definitely going to be starting a batch for Christmas 2016. And I think I'll just keep it simple and do the first recipe. And maybe add a little ginger. er..and maybe change the spices a bit....

Is dragon's blood best at room temperature? or chilled?

I prefer it semi-chilled and semi- sweet(I am not a sweet wine drinker). I believe if it gets too cold it numbs most of the flavors.

It really is up to you and your preferences as we all have our different likes.

I take mine out of the fridge and let the bottle sit for about 20 minutes, then pour myself a glass.

I don't like it super cold but I don't like it warm either.

Manthing likes his the same way I do or flat out warm.

Wine as with beer will have more flavor when drank at room temp. But the main squeeze and I do prefer wine chilled because we find it more refreshing.

Will

So the back-sweetening for me comes in a week (just racked from primary to carboy tonight). @wineforfun & others- what amount of sugar (for a 6 gallon batch) is good for a semi-sweet wine?

I use 1 cup per gallon. 6 cups for a 6 gallon batch.

So the back-sweetening for me comes in a week (just racked from primary to carboy tonight). @wineforfun & others- what amount of sugar (for a 6 gallon batch) is good for a semi-sweet wine?

I woud start at 1/2-3/4c per gallon and go from there. Remember, you can always add more, but can't take it out.
It will "sweeten" up some more after a few months in the bottle and more of the fruit flavor will come forward.

I have some DB finishing now but I'm not a big sweet wine drinker. I figure its a long shot, but is there a variation of the DB recipe that is more of a classic red wine style?

I have some DB finishing now but I'm not a big sweet wine drinker. I figure its a long shot, but is there a variation of the DB recipe that is more of a classic red wine style?

I find that adding elderberries to just about any kind of fruit wine gives it a deeper and more robust taste. You could start by adding 8 oz of dried elderberry and cutting the lemon in half.
Understand that not sweetening it will most definitely add to your aging time.

Latest posts

Back