Other Yeast substitutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I have five kits on deck that I will be starting fairly soon and I am trying to figure out what yeast substitutions to consider. I am also considering dividing a couple of kits in half, using a different yeast on each half and blending the back together.

The yeasts I have available are: MT, BDX, BM4X4, SYRAH, BM45, RC-212, and ICV-D254.

The kits and the early leaders for yeast pairings are:

Passport Brunello - BM45
Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir - RC-212
Eclipse Borossa Valley Shiraz - SYRAH
WE LE Meritage - MT
Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot - MT

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, etc.

Kits are not like grapes, so while the yeasts might make some differences, Id bet they will be very slight. Kit manufacturers blend flavors so that the finished product tastes the way its supposed to.

Couldnt hurt, though. It will be interesting.

I have five kits on deck that I will be starting fairly soon and I am trying to figure out what yeast substitutions to consider. I am also considering dividing a couple of kits in half, using a different yeast on each half and blending the back together.

The yeasts I have available are: MT, BDX, BM4X4, SYRAH, BM45, RC-212, and ICV-D254.

The kits and the early leaders for yeast pairings are:

Passport Brunello - BM45
Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir - RC-212
Eclipse Borossa Valley Shiraz - SYRAH
WE LE Meritage - MT
Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot - MT

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, etc.

As personal preference, I like BM4X4 on big reds, especially Italian reds. I think it brings out the fruit and the nose a bit more. Could be my imagination but that's what I have noticed personally.

I'm not familiar with MT, but your choices on the first three wines are what I'd go with, were they mine.

The Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz and Stag's Leap District Merlot are incredible wines as is. I wouldn't risk either of them on an experiment.

My comments are identical to Jim's (Boatboy's).

As personal preference, I like BM4X4 on big reds, especially Italian reds. I think it brings out the fruit and the nose a bit more. Could be my imagination but that's what I have noticed personally.

Roger, BM4x4 = BM45 + another yeast, so I think we are all more or less in agreement there! :D

What I am doing with my next red is splitting it and using 2 yeasts so I can see if it makes a difference or not. My plan is to keep some wine separate blend some, that way I can taste it a year or so down the road and determine if it makes a difference or not.
I am betting it will be a subtle difference, but my biggest nitpick with kit wines is lack of bouquet, so I am concentrating on appropriate Yeats that enhance bouquet - just my own 2$ I'll let you know in a year or so if I noticed any difference:)

What yeast came with each of those kits?

Steve

What yeast came with each of those kits?

Steve

When I originally posted I had not opened the boxes yet and I was expecting most, if not all, would be EC-1118. As it turns out the Passport Brunello, Sonoma Valley Pinot, and Barossa Valley Shiraz all came with RC-212. The Stag's Leap Merlot has EC-1118. WE LE Meritage is shipping today....

When I originally posted I had not opened the boxes yet and I was expecting most, if not all, would be EC-1118. As it turns out the Passport Brunello, Sonoma Valley Pinot, and Barossa Valley Shiraz all came with RC-212. The Stag's Leap Merlot has EC-1118. WE LE Meritage is shipping today....
The first thing I do is open the box. Two reasons...first make sure that the contents are complete. Second to start thinking about any alterations. IMO can't plan to change things without knowing the starting point.

Steve

I always open the kits when they arrive even if I'm not going to start them right away but for an entirely different reason. We ordered 30+ kits. Of those two of the kits developed a small leak either around the cap or in the seam of the bag that allowed a small amount of juice to escape. It was probably only a couple of teaspoons. Not enough to hurt the kit but more that enough to start a nice mold colony on the inside of the box. If you catch it early it's no big deal but we had one that sat for about 6 months before we opened it. Man was it a mess.

Both kits came from Midwest. They replaced them no questions asked but it was a hassle. Now we always open the box when it arrives. If we find a leaker we move it to the head of the line.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back