Wine kit gone wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! Id suggest the 5's also. Do they have Water coolers over there? you could possibly use one of them.

Good luck! Id suggest the 5's also. Do they have Water coolers over there? you could possibly use one of them.

We do have water coolers but I think most of those bottles are on deposit. And I'm not sure how I'd bung the neck, are they not slightly wider than normal carboy's/demijohns?

:)

I think they are but I don't have any demijohns to compare them to. If you find a tapered cork that will fit them you can drill the center to put your airlock on.

more advice please!

Ok so I put this into some 5l bottles and left it, hoping that it would eventually clear.

However, I'm not sure ANYTHING is happening at all and so further advice please!

None of the airlocks ever bubble or show any signs that CO2 is trying to get out. One of my problems is that I'm not convinced that the wine is degassed properly, and I lack a heat mat or belt to control the temp of my wine.

So I syphoned off a 2/3 bottle to see how it was doing.

A vigorous shake produces lots of bubbles in the bottle..

However, wine still tastes great and I wasn't sure whether it has cleared or not so here are a few photo's with a small amount in a glass and a full glass, taken with a flash.

So, as this is my first go I've no idea if the wine is sufficiently clear, but it certainly still has a lot of gas in it. I proceeded to shake that bottle A LOT and I still have not managed to get all the gas out of it (when shaken it still gets frothy and I can hear the bursting bubbles). So I've no idea how to proceed.

I guess I need to seriously degas it? Is moving it to a warmer room likely to help much? And how long will it take to degas naturally (not being stirred or shaken?)

The temp in my kitchen (where the wine is) ranges from 65-75 during the day depending on the weather and whether we are cooking etc, but I still never see enough gas build up to escape from the air locks.

Any more suggestions? (Also will all four bottles fit on an inexpensive heat pad if I do have to go to that length? My cheap wine is getting expensive lol)

Before You Bottle

Hey, I just reviewed your progress. I see gass is your concern now. I'd take your time before bottling. Hit the carboy with a drill mixex to degas. I recently purchased a medical vacume pump. I apply vacume pressure to the full carboy every now and then. I've seen foodsaver vacumes also used. The drill with extended carboy storage should be adequate. I've been told by others here to wait upto six months before bottling.

Happy fermenting,
Paul

Back