Will this work?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiml

Reaction score
I am looking at buying some Black Spanish vines. I don't have a lot of room but looking to plant about 6 vines. I live in zone 8a.

My biggest issue is my dogs. They get into anything and everything in my yard. So I am thinking about taking some landscape timbers and building up a bed next to my fence. This would be southern facing and raising the bed about 2 feet above ground. Then I would use a 1ft tall landscape edging to further prevent the dogs from getting in there.

I have three questions.

Will raising the bed for the vines create an issue in the winter?

What type of soil should I use to fill in the bed? I could either use my native soil(after getting it tested) or I can basically make it anything I want by going and buying the soil I would want to use to be ideal for grapes.

How big should the bed be for 6 vines that will be used for grapes. How big are the root systems? I was thinking 24-28ft long and 4-6ft wide. Does that sound about right?

I plan on composting to use in the future. Will this be an epic failure?

How much room do you have you need to plant the vines at least eight feet apart in their row. You don't need any specail soil for grape vines

Latest posts

Back