Whats your favorite wine? Commercial or homeade.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not cheap, I'm frugal...
smilie.gif
Liberty Creek Merlot @ $57.00 and some change for a case of 6 1.5L bottles. Taste is decent considering the price and makes a nice top off for the reds I've been making. It has been filling the gaps as I work to build up a stock of my own kit wines.

Anybody have any good tasting notes on inniskillin ice wines? Specifically how it would compare to a smooth semi sweet Italian Moscato?

I've had good luck buying 09-10 Bordeauxs for $10-15/bottle and sitting on them. They are universally tannic and complex and have become the bench mark I aim for. A recent trip to Napa has further fueled my delusion that of all the things I control over wine making, tannic structure is the most important. I think this is why Joeswine's 1# raisins/4T oak tannins is so successful. Now how to make a G-Pack substitute without grape skins, seeds or syrup? Pomegranates are awefully high in phenolic compounds and may provide an acceptable substitute for grape skins/seeds.

cimbaliw said:
I've had good luck buying 09-10 Bordeauxs for $10-15/bottle and sitting on them. They are universally tannic and complex and have become the bench mark I aim for. A recent trip to Napa has further fueled my delusion that of all the things I control over wine making, tannic structure is the most important. I think this is why Joeswine's 1# raisins/4T oak tannins is so successful. Now how to make a G-Pack substitute without grape skins, seeds or syrup? Pomegranates are awefully high in phenolic compounds and may provide an acceptable substitute for grape skins/seeds.

Ever try dried muscadine skins?

I have not tried anything other than the oak powder that's readily available. A quick search for dried muscadine skins got me nowhere. I'm kind of intrigued with finding high tannin, nontraditional items like persimmons or almond skins as tannin sources that may lend some flavor as well. I'm just keeping my eyes open for some of this stuff right now.

BC

Right now my favorites are two wines from Grape Creek Winery.

Manthing's mother goes down there every year and introduced these wines to me. The winery seems pretentious as he** to me, but whateves, it's good wine.

Grand Rouge:

Tasting Notes
The 2012 Grand Rouge is an elegant, medium-bodied red blend of Sangiovese and Cinsaut. This semi-sweet blend exhibits graceful characteristics of blackberries, violets and blueberries. Best served chilled.
Alcohol Vol:
12.7%
Blends:
67% Sangiovese 33% Cinsault

And Cabernet Blanc:

Tasting Notes
Our Cabernet Blanc is a distinctive, semi-sweet Rosé produced from Cabernet Sauvignon and has a long and rich history at Grape Creek. The nuances of wild berries, loganberries, strawberries and hints of honeysuckle are unmistakable.
Alcohol Vol:

I had a glass from a $100 bottle of wine once. It tasted like a tree branch covered in dirt with hints of B.O. and roses. I was not impressed.

cimbaliw said:
I have not tried anything other than the oak powder that's readily available. A quick search for dried muscadine skins got me nowhere. I'm kind of intrigued with finding high tannin, nontraditional items like persimmons or almond skins as tannin sources that may lend some flavor as well. I'm just keeping my eyes open for some of this stuff right now. BC

I buy muscadines whenever I can get them and squeeze the soft inside of the grapes into my mouth and discard the skins. I was told by a muscadine winery owner that they are among the most tannic grapes on earth. So I've often wondered if I were to dry the skins I usually discard if they would make a good f-pack.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal...
smilie.gif
Liberty Creek Merlot @ $57.00 and some change for a case of 6 1.5L bottles. Taste is decent considering the price and makes a nice top off for the reds I've been making. It has been filling the gaps as I work to build up a stock of my own kit wines.

You can get that for around $6.50 around here at piggly wiggly. I may try that. How is the chardonnay

Just picked up a bottle of Little Black Dress Merlot.
About $10 a bottle.

It is a decent drink.
And my wife really likes the stuff.

The best commercial wine that I have had thus far has to be the Sean Thackrey Pleiades #21. Thackrey is a very eccentric character, and Pleiades is a thought provoking wine that is completely unusual. It is very big in ABV (14.9%) and is a blend of all of the leftover single varietals from his "normal" commercial offerings. #21 was bottled in August 2011 and is mostly Sangiovese, but also contains Voignier, Pinot, Syrah, Mourvedre and Marsanne. It really reminded me of a big, yet balanced Brunello di Montalcino. It was a great birthday wine last year.

If I buy commercial, I am a fan of Kendall Jackson wines. Summation(Zin,Merlot,Syrah blend) in particular. I don't spend more than $10 - $15 for any commercial bottle. Also, I like 7 Zins Zinfandel. Very good for a commercial Zin.

Itailian Brunello di Montalcino. Im working on my own right now!! lol

Naples Italy. Took a cable car (Funicolare) to a part of town above the rest of the city. Stopped in a local pizzeria got some pizza and saw that they were selling wine. What the hell. They guy pulled out an empty San Pelligrino bottle, filled it from a container, capped it with a beer bottle cap/capper.

He charged me 3000 lire which was about $2 US.

I don't know what it was or who made it but hands down the best wine I've had. Not commercial though. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back