What the heck is this "fruit"? Help please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spotted this growing next to my pond. Small tree about 6 ft tall, trunk is about 2 inches in diameter, and the "fruit" is almost 1 inch in diameter. I've searched with no luck, internet and books. There are green and red ones so I think red means ripe. It's driving me crazy because it looks familiar. And it took a LOT of willpower to NOT taste it.

20230827_172657.jpg

The fruit looks like Korean dogwood (AKA kousa dogwood). Your leaf looks more waxy, thicker, it is fruiting now
A0D61801-8A6C-4FB6-9A35-9D9C4FD670BD.jpeg
Korean dogwood is edible, but I find the fruit very dry, flavor is unusual. I haven’t used it, ,,, yet. I posted numbers on it two years back.

Last edited:
OMG, @Ohio Bob and @Rice_Guy I think you nailed it! Fantastic! Thank you!

It wasn't there a few years ago and being next to the pond it may have been "planted" by waterfowl, misc birds, or any creatures that stop for a drink. There's no more than a couple dozen of the fruit but I know what I'm tasting today.
All my other dogwood have fruit like crazy this year. Unfortunately they seem to be all seeds and very bitter.

Yet another benefit of joining WMT! 😆 Thank you again very much!!!!

Thanks @mikewatkins727 but after consideration I'm going with kousa dogwood.

And like I said I would, I tasted it today. Probably one of those things that taste different each year depending on conditions. But this year? I thought it was really good, not quite delicious. Unusual but fruity and surprisingly sweet. If I had enough I would definitely make wine.

Thanks @mikewatkins727 but after consideration I'm going with kousa dogwood.

And like I said I would, I tasted it today. Probably one of those things that taste different each year depending on conditions. But this year? I thought it was really good, not quite delicious. Unusual but fruity and surprisingly sweet. If I had enough I would definitely make wine.
Well, @BigDaveK I have too recant my CLAIM of Button bush. I have to go with kousa dogwood. Further research bears that out.

Latest posts

Back