what cutters do you all use for 12.5 guage wire?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaches9324

Reaction score
I have a dilemma, every wire cutter I have has frayed my 12.5 guage wire making it impossible to implement the gripples. I have to get this trellis together this year!! And I'm in need of a pair of cutters that don't require a lot of strength you know the saying "good help is hard to find"? In my case it's any help is hard to find!:m Everyone is too busy! I have a total of 4 trellis I have to get together this season I got the post in, I have the wire, spinning jenny, gripples, gripple tool and the stapples (also have nails and nail care clips.) I put the anchors in myself. I hate having anybody do for me. I tore out 4 post from my table grapes cuz they had them spaced 3 and 4 feet apart that was way too many post and removed the heavy uncontrollable cable wire they had on it and removing that was tricky! Got a big hit in the chest with the wire after removing one of the staples!:ft Thats how sloppy it was! k I'm done with my rant for now. Back to the big question is there a fairly inexpensive wire cutter, one that won't fray 12.5 guage wire? Any experienced grape growers? Grapeman, GreginND, ibglowin? What do you guys use to cut 12.5 gauge wire?

Thanks A lot for your input!

I don't quite understand how you can fray a solid 12.5 guage wire. A cable would fray, but not wire. Is that what you have is braided cable? That would stretch unlike the wire.
Anyways I found the best and easiest tool for cutting the wire is a crimping tool from Tractor Supply that you can apply splicing crimps with. It has a cutter built in. I had the tool so it was cheap for me. A small pair of bolt cutters would work the same.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/wire-fence-splice-crimping-tool--wire-cutter

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

How about:
1) Cut the wire longer than you need.
2) Attach the Gripple.
3) Cut off the excess.

ok I flubbed up on my question. I am able to cut the 12.5 guage wire with the tool I have but on one of the anchor kits I have I tried to shorten the wire so as not to have as much over hang was thinking it was the same as the 12.5 cage:slp sorry my bad, its made of rope wire. Should I just use a bigger gripple on it or replace it all together?
thanks much sorry for the confusion

Just loop the wire rope instead of cutting if it is too long. Since you already cut it, either replace it or try to thread the pieces in to get past where it unwound. I know it is about a $4 cable, but I would just get rid of it to avoid the hastle of dealing with it. Good luck with it. By the way did you get my PM about the user? I never got an answer.

yea just going to get rid of it and thanks for the input. Was just trying to save it. Did ya get the pm I just sent to ya?

Back