weston press from Amazon- threads stripped

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedaddy

Reaction score
Last Spring I bought the small fruit press from Amazon when they went on sale for less than $100 for a couple weeks. I have used it 4 times so far and have been very happy with my purchase and the bargain I got it at. I have pressed cherries and blueberries last summer and just finished 600 pounds of grapes.

My issue is with the handle that attaches to the ratchet. When tightening to press it has a tendency to unscrew from the ratchet mechanism. While my attention was on filling the press and empting the juice bucket, I didn't always look at the handle unscrewing. Every once in a while, I would notice it and screw it in tight again. Operating it while it wasn't fully in must have made the inside threads wear prematurely. After its 4th use, the casting is so worn that the threads won't catch. It is still usable but a major pain to always have to hold the handle or it will fall out.

So, what do I do. I think the problem is that the ratchet mechanism is a cast iron casting with some kind of plating or anodizing on it. The handle is stainless steel and obviously a harder metal. I think this bound to wear out eventually, but I am a little upset it only lasted 4 uses.
I am thinking these are my options.
1. Send the ratchet back to Weston or Amazon (not sure who is responsible) and ask for a new one. The problem is that I will probably get the same design that will just wear out again in 4 uses.
2. Drill out the casting a little bigger and put some threads in for a bigger handle. Then I would have to make a bigger handle.
3. Cast a new piece for the mechanism out of bronze. I know a good foundry that will do this but it isn't going to be an easy casting and will take some work to get the holes drilled again.

Any other ideas and has anyone else had this problem? I know that many of you bought the same press this year....

can you post some picture so we have a better ideal of what your dealing with

Drill a hole through all and put a pin in there that can be removed after use, sort of like a big cotter pin.

Drill a hole through all and put a pin in there that can be removed after use, sort of like a big cotter pin.

Absolutly agree with above! The first two presses that I owned had this exact thing. Drill a hole through the side, and then insert a bolt.

Also ask yourself if you are cranking the thing too hard. Treat your press like a lady. Be gentle.

I will admit that I haven't been treating it like a lady but it is a press and should be able to handle some pressure.

I don't think I can drill into the stainless steel handle even if I use a drill press. I also am unsure if I have enough of the handle fitting into the casting to pin it in without wobbling around. I have used presses with the handles pinned in before but they were a little different design.

Maybe I should just weld it together. Ithink I know someone that is good enough to weld the steel onto the iron.

IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9201.JPG

IMG_9202.JPG

That would be a tough spot to drill being rounded. You would probably need to grind it flat first and that might weaken the casting as would the pin through it. My press uses a thumb set screw to hold the handle and it is always loosening up. I usually just set the handle in it to operate and no problem after years of operation. I would either just use it as is or have it welded in. Another option might also be to use a liquid steel type product to apply liberally to the threads and put the handle in.

I'm not sure this would work but it might. They are sold in different sizes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-7-16-inch-14-thread-repair-inserts-98321.html

Thread Repair Inserts
Repair cracked, stripped or damaged threads without moving to a larger thread size. These high quality helical inserts can also be inserted into softer metals to provide a durable threaded grip.

■Rugged stainless steel construction
■Easy installation, simply drill, tap and install

I agree with Larryh86gt that is the way to go then use some Loc Tight on the thread also the threaded repair inserts work great I have used them before to repair spark plug holes on lawn mowers

Thanks guys, I have seen those coils before but I forgot all about them. I might give them a try. I am going to take the press to Thanksgiving dinner with me and talk to the metal experts in my family and see what they think. My brother in law owns a welding shop and my Dad has a foundry.

Still curious if this has happened to anyone else? I know a lot of folks bought these last spring. Maybe mine just wasn't heat treated correctly.

Well, I showed it to my brother and law and he offered to braze a new handle on permanently but I didn't really want to do that because of my limited storage. We talked about putting a helicoil in but I didn't think that would be a good permanent solution. My dad ended up taking it and will give it to a retired friend that has a machine shop in his garage. He is going to bore it out and make a new longer handle. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

Thats a bummer, its one reason I dont by stuff like this except from very good retailers that back their product 100%. If my press broke I guaranty the place I bought mine from would take it back and ship me a brand new one with no doubt in my mind.

Latest posts

Back