Vacuum Pump Degassing Methods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an interesting take on vacuum degassing:
http://winemakermag.com/blogs/chasing-the-fizz.html

very good article - I tried a similar thing - I had a carboy under vacuum and shook it a little and realized how much CO2 was released at that point. I then realized that if I splash racked under vacuum was also a very good result as well. If you do not have most all the co2 out prior to filtering you, the filter will aid in the separation of the CO2, that is why I put the pipe inside the filter cartridge.

Here is my $0.02 on the need for vacuum degassing or degassing of any type. Like others have said, wine from fresh grapes doesn't seem to need it, ever. Not sure if its just the fact that the juice was fresh and not processed like kit juice or if the act of pressing facilitates degassing.

Kit wines, especially reds seem to really hold on to their CO2 for whatever reason(s). White kit wines are easier to degas on their own but I have had some that were just as stubborn as a red. Not sure if its related to a manufacturing process or what but there is a big difference between kit wine and wine made from fresh grapes.

Time will win out eventually even with a kit wine so if you are really not in a hurry to bottle and plan on letting the wine sit for 6-12 months in a carboy it will eventually degas and clear all on its own without fining agents just like a wine made from fresh grapes. Most new winemakers are in a hurry to get the wine clear and bottled so this is where a pump comes in handy at first for degassing, then later on for racking, filtering and even bottling.

Mike - My experience is different. I frequently have non-fresh-grape wines that are still gassy after a year or more in a carboy, so I don't feel like time will eventually win out. It hasn't for me anyway.

Kits and various country wines. Blackberry, elderberry, apple from juice, cherry, strawberry, watermelon, etc. Some are more stubborn than others. I just don't think a general statement that 'time will take of it' is accurate.

My own experience combined with MANY posts from others tells me that degassing is frequently problematic.

The only fresh grape wine I've done is a couple batches of Chambourcin (my favorite grape). I don't recall how easy it was to degas them, but I trust fresh grape winemakers comments.

Kits and various country wines. Blackberry, elderberry, apple from juice, cherry, strawberry, watermelon, etc. Some are more stubborn than others. I just don't think a general statement that 'time will take of it' is accurate.

My own experience combined with MANY posts from others tells me that degassing is frequently problematic.

The only fresh grape wine I've done is a couple batches of Chambourcin (my favorite grape). I don't recall how easy it was to degas them, but I trust fresh grape winemakers comments.

I don't do kits but yes I have had to degass my blackberry and elderberry and all of my juice buckets that I get really need degassing. And I agree "time doesn't take care of it" yes on some but the two I mention I always need to degass. Actually, it really depends on how many times I need to rack, my muscadine I seem to rack more than others and so far I have not had to degass it.

I don't do kits but yes I have had to degass my blackberry and elderberry and all of my juice buckets that I get really need degassing. And I agree "time doesn't take care of it" yes on some but the two I mention I always need to degass. Actually, it really depends on how many times I need to rack, my muscadine I seem to rack more than others and so far I have not had to degass it.

I am with you on that Julie. I will do juice and fresh grapes or fruit. The more I rack with vacuum the less CO2. Prior to vacuum transfer I could let my wine sit for atleast 1 year + and I would still have CO2 issues.(mainly because I typically keep my carboys at 68 degrees F)

When we spoke you said you didn't inoculate for MLF. Have you considered that your Co2 issues a year later is a naturally occurring mlf at 68 degrees?

I do keep adding sulfites, so I would have to say no on the MLF theory of it . I add sulfites approx after 1 month of fermentation , unless I notice fermation still going ( which at that time could be natural MLF, ) and wait 3 weeks till fermanation has stopped prior to adding sulfites.

Latest posts

Back