Tea Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jusatele

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who use to make a tea wine.
But he recently past. I never got the recipe.
So now I want to make a batch in his honor

SO I am asking for a recipe from the board from someone who has made a Tea Wine

Sorry, no recipe, just my two cents....

My catnip wine (dried from the garden) used the equivalent of 36 teabags for 1 gallon. I wanted a strong tea to start and I was very happy with the result. I assume you're referring to tea made from camellia sinenesis where green, black, and oolong come from. Tea is used in many wine recipes as a source for tannin. I'm not a "tea" expert but I think there's a chance of making a bitter brew without some care. Did you do a search on the forum?

I’ve made some Earl Grey tea wine in the past, I’ll look up what I did. Here’s a thread with some information.
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/black-tea-wine.42324/#post-785327

IIRC I did use some banana for body. Add sugar to the desired SG to achieve the ABV you want. QA23 would give more florals for that particular tea, if it’s acidic I might use 71B. I believe the bigger discussion points were how much loose tea to use (or tea bags) and do you make a tea and ferment that or ferment “on” the leaves with them in the primary like a cold brew.

As Dave said, do a search here for “Tea”. A bunch of threads came up and you might get some good experiences to form some ideas about how you want to craft yours. Here’s another:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/hibiscus-and-black-tea-wines.77434/

Now you have me thinking of making a tea wine again too… and I love that you’re doing this in honor of your friend.

I would parrot a flower wine like dandelion. In concept there will be close to no nutrition from the tea leaves/ flower buds so you are making a sugar wine.
In the scheme of things if you can make a good wine with everything coming out of a bottle ,,, you are an excellent winemaker, ,,, you understand the system.

Last edited:
I made 1kg of back tea, steap it for 20 minutes in 20+ liters of hot water.. will need some lemon juice or acid blend. add sugar to the right SG about 6kg should get to 12 to 14 percent. add raisins could also be nice or honey instead of sugar. yeast I used a mead yeast labeled PM,

can add some flower tea with it like hibiscus or rose hips.

I didn't care for tea wine. I love fruit wines. tea wine also distills into a nice liquor,

Found it….

Feb 2021
20 bags in 1 gallon water
1/2 pound raisins
1 Banana
Sugar to 1.090
Citric acid to pH 3.6
Go Ferm Yeast starter with K1-V1116
Step fed with Fermaid O & K

After initial racking when fermentation complete, 1 cup of brewed Earl Grey tea, SO2, 1oz glycerine. Backsweeten to taste, sorbete if sweetening. Bottle when ready.

The following is from a collection of Jack Keller recipes:

BLACK TEA WINE
"I was wondering if you had a black tea recipe...." Amos Herrera
BLACK TEA
I guess it is only natural that I receive a request for Black Tea Wine after posting one for Green Tea & Ginger. This recipe differs from many tea wine recipes in that it contains grape concentrate for body. Either white or red grape concentrate can be used, depending on the color of wine you want.
Black Tea Wine
• 4 tablespoons bulk black tea
• 1 11-oz can frozen red or white grape concentrate, depending on desired color
• 2 lbs. sugar
• 2 tsp. citric acid
• 6 pts. water
• 1 tsp. yeast nutrient
• 1 pkt wine yeast
Bring water to a boil and pour over the tea and sugar, stir well, and infuse until cool. Strain into primary, add grape concentrate, acid, nutrient and yeast. Cover and ferment until s.g. drops below 1.020. Transfer to secondary, fit airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack when wine is clear and completely dry, top up and refit airlock. Rack again after 45 days, stabilize, refit airlock, and set aside for 3-4 weeks. Sweeten to taste if desired and bottle. [Author's own recipe]

Latest posts

Back