sleepless night

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not sleep well last night. Forest fire started mid day by a neighbor cutting grass with a brush hog. Must have hit rocks setting off sparks and fire. It quickly spread up the hill, a VERY steep hill. The hill was sparse grass and vey little timber. Once it hit the top, it started sideways both directions.

We were lucky, the wind was mostly the other way. It was across a canyon and river from us but fire does have a way of hopping over things like that. They managed to get a cat on the ridge to cut a fire break part way down on our end until it got too steep and rocky. A hand crew arrived and cut a hand trail from the cat path on down to the river I could see their head lamps as they worked all night. I watched the fire work it's way down this end until 11 last night. We were under a level 2 evacuation order.

This morning the fire brake held except for a small area on top and I guess the hand crew stopped it there. This morning I watched a hand crew spread out and go down the ridge they had stopped it on checking for hot spots and they did use a hose from a truck on top.

The other end of the fire is still going but Helicopters showed up strong this morning and they should have it stopped by now, but I haven't been down to see. Enough damn tourists in the way of fire fighters as it is.

Best to all. I've seen those crews do incredible work in horrible conditions. Glad you sound safe. I'm 4500 miles from home now, Elliott city, MD. Just learned that the city flooded last night. Fire and water. 2 original elements. Good luck.

Hope they got it all out. Stay safe, as long as you stay healthy, everything else can be replaced. Don't forget to put the firefighters in your prayers. They generally don't get enough credit for what they do. Arne.

Hope they got it all out. Stay safe, as long as you stay healthy, everything else can be replaced. Don't forget to put the firefighters in your prayers. They generally don't get enough credit for what they do. Arne.

I second Arne's thoughts. Fire is an annual thing for us. Stay safe, keep the essentials ready to go, and thank the fire fighters. They earn their pay and more.

Back