Ready or not, self-driving semi-trucks are coming to America’s highways

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just was forced to buy a car (old one,17 years old, 292K didn't pass inspection). I got a Toyota Corolla Hybrid, it can basically drive itself when in cruise control, very scary, and this is a base model LE. If there are painted lines from past construction or even darker areas from sealing cracks the car tries to adjust for you, even not in cruise. I don't like it one bit. I guess I'm getting old.

I've rented cars that use that lane following nonsense. Supposed to be for safety but I bet it really leads to people thinking that they really don't need to pay attention. I'm sure it will one day develop into a mature technology that can be trusted, but that day is not today. I, for one, do not wish to become a statistic that helps improve the algorithm.

Jeeze, like the road isn't dangerous enough with oil field trucks driving like maniacs.

Oh, link wants you to join or give out your email for access - nope.

It is by subscription, and worth every dime. :)

I'm sure it will one day develop into a mature technology that can be trusted, but that day is not today.
That day will come where there are no:
  • fresh pavement with no lines
  • existing pavement with faded lines
  • construction areas with multiple sets of lines
  • post-construction areas with multiple lines
  • rain
  • snow
  • puddles
  • shadows
  • intentionally produced hazards such as tape on signs to alter them
Until our roads are 100% Disneyfied, self driving vehicles have areas where programming fails.

After the self-driving semi's kill a few people and highly publicized lawsuits appear, we may see the decline of such ideas until road conditions approach ideal.

I can't believe people ride bicycles in the street. Not a week goes by without someone driving their vehicle into a home. I don't feel comfortable sleeping on my couch. I think I'd be using the bike paths that the tax payers of ohio have so graciously supplied. Bring on massive multi wheeled robots. What could go wrong? Trains are doing fine.

I can't believe people ride bicycles in the street. Not a week goes by without someone driving their vehicle into a home. I don't feel comfortable sleeping on my couch. I think I'd be using the bike paths that the tax payers of ohio have so graciously supplied. Bring on massive multi wheeled robots. What could go wrong? Trains are doing fine.
Bike paths and trails bring with them the possibility of being mugged or killed. But then again, a risk free life would be utterly boring.

This morning I took my wife's car in for a repair and was on a US highway (very wide margins on both sides), where I spotted an unlucky and probably foolish driver had his car up a bank, pointed the wrong way. My guess is they were driving too fast and hit a puddle, losing control badly enough to end up going in the wrong direction. To do this the car had to go down a shallow bank, probably 40' wide, across a shallow ditch, and up a steep bank. If nothing else the front and back bumpers hit dirt, so damage is likely. I'm sure the driver needs clean underwear.

A few miles later was my turnoff. I've driven this route literally thousands of times, but given the total downpour and the linework badly faded, I had a hard time figuring out where the turn lane was -- I judged it by where I thought the edge of the pavement was.

I have difficulty believing that software and sensors can make judgment calls better than a driver in such conditions.

This morning I took my wife's car in for a repair and was on a US highway (very wide margins on both sides), where I spotted an unlucky and probably foolish driver had his car up a bank, pointed the wrong way. My guess is they were driving too fast and hit a puddle, losing control badly enough to end up going in the wrong direction. To do this the car had to go down a shallow bank, probably 40' wide, across a shallow ditch, and up a steep bank. If nothing else the front and back bumpers hit dirt, so damage is likely. I'm sure the driver needs clean underwear.

A few miles later was my turnoff. I've driven this route literally thousands of times, but given the total downpour and the linework badly faded, I had a hard time figuring out where the turn lane was -- I judged it by where I thought the edge of the pavement was.

I have difficulty believing that software and sensors can make judgment calls better than a driver in such conditions.
I read that Uber Eats is now using Waymo driverless cars to deliver food. Apparently it parks as close as it can get to your location and you're instructed to come out to meet it with your cell phone. That should be interesting.

I read that Uber Eats is now using Waymo driverless cars to deliver food. Apparently it parks as close as it can get to your location and you're instructed to come out to meet it with your cell phone. That should be interesting.
Yup. A few years back Amazon had a deal with certain car vendors where Amazon delivery personnel could unlock the trunk of some models and deliver packages. My response to that was NFW.

Then Amazon delivery personnel could unlock customer homes if it had specific lock sold by Amazon, so packages could be put inside. Again, NFW.

I was told I am too old to understand. My response was that I am old enough that I DO understand. 🤣

Latest posts

Back