Racking & Clarification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thing about the kits: we learned to follow the instructions, doing things exactly as they said to do them. The only thing we do in addition to the instructions is more racking. We like a pretty wine. I mean really, you can't turn down the lights all the time!
smiley2.gif

We all need to avoid the use of the term 'secondary fermentation' unless we are speaking of an actual fermentation of the wine that is secondary to the yeast pitched in the beginning, such as malolactic fermentation. Using the term 'secondary fermentation vessel' is appropriate. Most of us usually only have a single fermentation in our wines.

70-75* F is a good fermentation temp through the entire kit process. Remember, the kit juice has been subjected to high temps already. When making a wine from scratch, it might sometimes behoove the winemaker to limit the temp of the fermentation area.

Yep, been dying to use 'behoove' all day!

smiley36.gif

Edited by: Hippie

I agree.

That primary/secondary terminology really had me confused when I made my first wines. It seemed, as Hippie said, that I really only got one fermentation. When I didn't get the second one, I really got concerned. Now I know what its supposed to do and everything is cool. Its not a bad idea to have a glass of wine, while making wine.

Archer

Latest posts

Back