Planted Veggies Today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all come on up to Northern Minnesota! We can show you some cold!
smiley19.gif
It can easily get below -40 in the winter and over 100 in the summer. But last summer was bad, no heat. We lost lots of crops up here during a summer freeze. So if you're ever feeling sorry for yourself during the winter, just remember us in American Siberia! But just think of all the great opportunities it presents to make and drink wines.
smiley32.gif

PWP, I don't know if I could stand that -40.
smiley3.gif
It's the humidity in July and August to go along with 105 in the shade that just makes me melt!There should be a happy medium somewhere.

berry

Berrywine, There are wonderful places to live with fabulous weather, but most mortals can't afford it.
smiley19.gif
Maui Joe lives in one of those places. I spent June through October in South Carolina one year. I have to admit that I acclimated to that easier when I was a kid. By the way, it's been snowing on and off all day toady!
smiley19.gif

Berry, I spent yesterday driving from Wisconsin all the way to the top of Minnesota and there were snow squalls all the way home!
smiley19.gif
THIS is why we haven't planted anything yet.

We are still in the 40's overnight, 60's during the day,lots and lots of rain lately, kind of sitting back waiting and waiting. Maybe it will let up soon so you can get in there and dig some dirt.What do you like in your garden when you do plant?

berry

I think we're going to head out with the plastic and logs to get the soil warming so we can plant some day. We vary every year what we plant and with the cold weather I don't think we'll have time for any early crops. This year it looks like carrots, green beans, maters. We also have some volunteer raspberries! They planted themselves at the end of the garden. Not enough for wine but enough to snitch now and then. And sadly, we've been in this house since "99 and still don't have any rhubarb in the ground! I think I need to change that!

I still have several beds covered with plastic being our overnight temps are still cool. Last night it got down to 38°. That is a bit unseasonal for us.Lettuce and radishes like it, maters are protected by wall o waters. I bet u r limited on what u can grow, short season and all.Congrats on the Volunteerraspberries. You can munch on a few while working in the garden. Good luck.

berry

Yee Haw! It's getting warm again! I can hardly wait to get the gloves and garden fork going this weekend!

Latest posts

Back