MM Sonoma Edition Yakima Valley Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my pail on Thursday. When I unboxed it there was still ice on the lid and the top of the must was still frozen. After three days the must temp is now 68 degrees so I took an SG reading. Unless this must had previously begun fermentation I am very disappointed in the 1.082 SG. I know it will come up slightly as it warms, but I really don't want a 12% ABV Syrah.

I am seriously considering adding some sugar, but I thought I would check in here to see what opinions might be offered first.

Unfortunately mine was damaged in shipment and never delivered. They returned to George who promptly gave me a refund.
I'd rather have the kit. Maybe in April.
WAAAHHHHH!

you might be pleasantly surprised at how it turns out without all of the alcohol...

i too got a bucket of Sonoma Edition Cabernet Franc as well. I got the bucket on Wednesday. Fermentation started on Saturday. The SG was 1.071 @ 68F. It is a bit low I thought. I added 5oz of elderberries for body, 5 Teaspoons of Pectic enzymes, and 1/2 teaspoon DAP. I poured the must into another bucket with a large mesh bag. the mesh bag helps me separate the grapes and elderberries when I rack the the carboy later.

I also added a packet of EC-1118 yeast with apple juice as starter. The wine was going crazy on Sunday and Monday. YouTube video of the wine fermentation is at the end.

I stir the bag and must around daily. I checked the SG yesterday and it was at. 1.022 and fermentation has slowed, but still going good.

I am think of doing a MLF on it. With it being a low Alcohol, i think it will be a great candidate for my first MLF. do you guys recommend MLF on it? if so, what extra test kit do i need?

I do notice on MM instructions, it say to ask 1/4 ascorbic acid after fermenation. to me, that the acid is low, am I correct?

[ame="http://youtu.be/bO3j8CbdiXI"]You Tube video of fermentation[/ame]

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the pail. I racked it to secondary a few days ago and was pleased with the yield. I racked to a 6+ gallon carboy and only had to use half a bottle to top off.

Smells great!

FWIW, I just bottled this wine today and the remnants I sampled were very good. I aged half the batch on medium toasted oak and half on medium plus toast. I can definitely tell a difference, but they are both tasty. I think the medium plus will be very good in six months.

Back