Lemon Balm Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lemon balm wine is bulk aging right now. I tasted it today, and it has a mild lemon flavor and good body. I added the juice and zest of two lemons. That gave me an initial pH of 3.4, which is just right, so I didn't add any other acid. I added 1/8 tsp wine tannin in primary, so there is not much tannin. The estimated ABV is about 12%.

With a little bit of sweetening, the acid/alcohol/sugar balance is about right. But the flavor is not very strong, so it is not very exciting. I used 6 cups (100 g) of fresh lemon balm for 1.5 gal primary.

I'm wondering how I can improve on this, to give it a more robust flavor. More lemon balm? Other ingredients? Age it on oak?

I would be tempted to make an extract so you could have control of additions. That may bump your ABV though which I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than I am.

I made some recently- added extra Balm “tea” the day after the initial 6-7 cups of balm -trying to get max flavor. It is very mild.
I used black tea for tannin/ depth which helped some. Lots of sugar and 4 lemons.. it was in the dessert wine range. I saved out some extra for a finishing “cold ferment” after 2 weeks . I tasted it just now. It is lemony and mild. Wish it had more herbal taste.. but I’m not getting that.
Reminds me of Dandelion fizz that I’ve made- refreshing and the alcohol content seems high..but, not in a bad way:)
I made Lemon Balm Mead 2 years ago. I was frustrated with the lack of flavor and over-reacted and added Strawberries.. ( don’t do it!!)
it was horrible for awhile.. ( I dislike bad Strawberry flavor! ) 2 years later, it is drinkable - but I still don’t like the Strawberry flavor. Had I left it as Lemon Balm mead I’m sure it would have been subtle but potent in alcohol. ( I forgot that mead takes much longer to develop so early trials were awful and I nearly pitched it all!!)
Always learning…!:)

I have lemon balm coming up right now all over my property, so it was time to taste the wine that I made from it last year. Last year's batch was started on 4/8/23 and bottled on 1/21/24 (I got busy...). Today it has a good but subtle flavor. It is like a white wine with a hint of lemon and something else difficult to define. There is a lingering fruity or herbal after taste that is quite pleasant. It is a little better with some more added sweetness.

I want to try another batch this year, possibly with more lemon balm. I should bench test first by making some tea with various amounts of lemon balm to find the point at which it gets too herbal.

I am also getting ready to make some hard lemonade for the summer, and I had the idea of making some from lemon balm + lemon juice + a bit of ginger. That might be very nice at about 5% ABV, sweetened, and carbonated.

Ginger may make the must environment difficult for yeast to ferment.
Yes it does. I discovered that when making hard ginger ale. I eventually got it to ferment, but it was a struggle.

This time I am using only a small amount of ginger, and step feeding my starter with must to help the yeast acclimate to the adverse environment. If I have trouble with that, next time I will add the ginger tea in secondary.

I've made 2 ginger wines, added it to a few others (I like it with pear) and never had a problem. Because of it's antimicrobial properties I simmer it first.
I simmer mine as well. I read somewhere that simmering it will destroy the anti-microbial properties. I haven't been able to verify that from a reputable source, so I'm not sure whether that is true or not.

For my hard lemonade, I used only the "tea" from simmering and steeping the ginger. I didn't include the ginger bits in the primary. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference to the yeast or not.

Latest posts

Back