Kieselsol and Chitosan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If yuo plan to buy the pre-measured packets (probalby called Dual-FIne) it is expensive everywhere $3-5. But if you buy a bulk size 8 ounces will last a fairly long time, I believe, not sure how many applications you get from it, but they are about $5-7 each. I bought them last at Morewinemaking.com, just have to buy enough things to get to free shipping.

Most of the prepackage amounts of Kieselsol in kits is 12.5 ml. I looked at the bottles at more wine.com, and their instructions are 1/4 oz. Which is roughly half the amount. Same with Chitosan. Bottle says one oz per 5-6 gallons while the kits include a package of 75 ml or 2.5 oz. Why the discrepancy? Seems the amount isn’t really important.

Last edited:
If yuo plan to buy the pre-measured packets (probalby called Dual-FIne) it is expensive everywhere $3-5. But if you buy a bulk size 8 ounces will last a fairly long time, I believe, not sure how many applications you get from it, but they are about $5-7 each. I bought them last at Morewinemaking.com, just have to buy enough things to get to free shipping.
I usually go to Amazon since most wine making supply houses list their wares there. I just checked and a 4-pack of the pre-measured stuff is under $11 and the bulk stuff is much cheaper. A 4-pack lasts me a long time since it takes time to drink and/or gift 120 bottles of wine.

No one seemed to have an answer to the amounts added so I’ll post it again. I think it’s a puzzling question.

Most of the prepackage amounts of Kieselsol in kits is 12.5 ml. I looked at the bottles at more wine.com, and their instructions are 1/4 oz. Which is roughly half the amount. Same with Chitosan. Bottle says one oz per 5-6 gallons while the kits include a package of 75 ml or 2.5 oz. Why the discrepancy? If wine making is art and science, the doses should be the same.

No one seemed to have an answer to the amounts added so I’ll post it again. I think it’s a puzzling question.

Most of the prepackage amounts of Kieselsol in kits is 12.5 ml. I looked at the bottles at more wine.com, and their instructions are 1/4 oz. Which is roughly half the amount. Same with Chitosan. Bottle says one oz per 5-6 gallons while the kits include a package of 75 ml or 2.5 oz. Why the discrepancy? If wine making is art and science, the doses should be the same.

I am going to guess the reason nobody else has responded. I know the reason I haven't. I don't know why the discrepancy. Since I purchased the bulk bottles, I follow the amount listed on the bottles and I can't tell you what that is right now. I'm not near them.

I am going to guess the reason nobody else has responded. I know the reason I haven't. I don't know why the discrepancy. Since I purchased the bulk bottles, I follow the amount listed on the bottles and I can't tell you what that is right now. I'm not near them.
I can't remember which is the more viscous one, keiselsol or chitosan. Whichever it is, I've noticed that the more viscous one in kits is sometimes almost as thick as honey and other times more like maple syrup. I'm guessing that they sometimes dilute it to make it mix in the wine more easily. Could this explain the volume difference?

Latest posts

Back